Author Topic: Owen and Thomas Collins County Monaghan!!  (Read 14018 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen and Thomas Collins County Monaghan!!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 July 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tootsiepie,

No I didn't know about the other Collins family in Blackhill Durham, I didn't even know there was one.  I have however heard of an Owen Collins born 1841 the same year as Thomas, living in Durham, wondered if they were maybe twins but I don't know.
I am not used to searching English relatives as all my searching before has been in Scotland.  My family are Scottish and my husband's father Thomas Aloysuis Collins (son of Thomas Collins born 1885 in Durham) married a scottish girl and stayed in Scotland all his life until he died in 1968.

I am not too sure what to do now as I have been searching the Collins family trying to get back to Ireland for some time now.

I have contacted County Monaghan Records Office but they say without knowing the area Owen and Thomas came from in County Monaghan they are unable to help.  They did however say they have no record of a Thomas Collins being born in 1841 +/- 2 years  anywhere in County Monaghan.

I am not too sure where to go from here, by the way Thomas born 1885 and his wife Ann or Annie lived in Richmond North Yorkshire, both are buried there.
Thanks again for all you help and advice!!

Elizabeth

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 July 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I think I sent you a P.M., but not sure if it went!  basically it was to say I'll send you the entries by P.M.  for the other households later on this afternnon.   I've got to go and start preparing dinner right now.    ::)  I
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 July 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Yes I did receive your other message about the discs and that you would send the 1881 information.

Thanks Elizabeth

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 July 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I forgot the I.G.I. has the 1881 census for Engand online-(already p.m.  Elizabeth ) just in case anyone else was interested in the 1881 English.  :-[
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 July 06 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

received all the information you sent on the other Collins family in Durham.  I will also try IGI as you suggested.   Thanks again for your help!!

Elizabeth

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 July 06 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

The information of the streets, Tootsiepie & yourself have given is very helpful to narrow your search.

Here's the layout of the streets from what my mams told me, her grandfather lived in Walton Row and his sister lived in West Row.

Layout at the bottom  ;D

St Mary's Church also called "Our Blessed Lady"

These streets were company houses (Consett steel works), It was where all the Irish Catholics moved to when they first came to the Consett area
Tootsiepie said:- "Have you managed to prove any relationship to the other  Collins  families of Blackhill Benfieldhill in the 1881. Namely John of 15 Derwent St, aged 50, born ENESCINE, Ireland, and Peter, West Road, born Ireland"

Peter of West Road would be of West Row.?

As all these streets join each other. It is possible that Peter of Derwent street could have been the brother of Thomas.

I would look for Collins located in ENESCINE or similar name in Monaghan. My mams gt grandfather was William McCourt and lived in Walton Row one of the McCourts were listed as from Lysone, Tyrone, as far as i can tell they were from Lissan, Tyrone. it's the way that they say it!

Clogher Record Vol XVI, No 1 (1997)
Duffy, Godfrey F.: County Monaghan immigrants in the Consett area of County Durham, England, 1842-1855.
Could this person be a relative?

Regards,
Rewcastle.

Edit: hangon the image hasn't loaded??? ooh it has now ;D

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 July 06 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rewcastle,

Yes I see what you mean about all the streets leading onto each other or running  along beside one another, and the church of St Mary's there too.

Also Thomas Collins would have been about 50 in the 1881 census, so this could maybe be a brother, not much difference in their ages.

I think the only way to be sure I would have to check the census information on this , Thomas was in the Iron work on the census so this could have been a company house as you said.  I will have to  see if there is anything else I can pick up to on John and Peter's family in the census.

Thank you so much for you help, it has also been very interesting just seeing the area they all lived in, it just gives you a better idea about how the Irish people stayed together and worked together too.

I would have hoped to print all this off and have a good look at everything both you and Tootsiepie  have given me but my printer is not working just now.  Will try and see if I cam check out the 1881 census though.  As far as the Duffy family I am also not sure if this family is related to Thomas's wifes family Duffy, they came from Ireland but went to Scotland, I don't know why Mary Ann was in Durham and married there when her parents were in Scotland. Anyway I will try and find out some of these things.!!!

Many many thanks!!!

Elizabeth