Author Topic: Does Anyone live in Shaftesbury?  (Read 8919 times)

Offline r_hanger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone live in Shaftesbury?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Just found your request, I can help you with photos as I was born and bred in Melbury Abbas, now live in WA.
Let me know if you still need photos

Rachel Hanger

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 11:06 BST (UK) »
Rachel

Thank you so much for your kind offer - I probably have enough pictures for my book at the minute as Fred was very kind in travelling around and taking photos for me.  I was interested in photos of any local Mills if you have any of them.

You have travelled a long way  :)  I am still amazed at the strength and courage of immigrants who come so far whether it be 200 years ago or current - tis a long way from home.

My family were originally from Melbury Abbas (some are buried there). Family name was Miles. James Miles married Mary Bullen 1811 - any connections?

many thanks

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline r_hanger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 06:29 BST (UK) »
Trish,

Can you email me at email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system to exchange personal email addresses - thankyouWe may have a lot to talk about !

Rachel

Offline RecursiveS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 October 06 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Trish. You may have enough photos already but as I live in Shaftesbury I would be happy to let you have anything that I have or can get for you....

I also have a web address where you can get some pictures copyright free, and perhaps you would email/contact me so that I can let you have that as well.

Sorry, not quite sure of the protocol on this site yet, and don't want to offend the mods! :)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 October 06 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RC & many thanks for your offer. I will send you a PM. I think it is allowed to post your web address  :) (anyway the mods delete anything they don't like  ;D )  If you want to exchange emails, do it via PM otherwise the email can be picked up by the spam robots which causes grief.

Trish

Offline taffi52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Convict ship 'Surrey' carried my gggg grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 September 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Fred: You are quite right on both counts ref the Hovis advert and the film 'Far from the Madding Crowd' I was at the girl's high chool in 1967 and a group of us sneaked off to catch a glimpse of Terence Stamp!

Trish many thanks for the reply and your good advice. I am getting a little more used to the site!  I lived 2 miles from Shaftesburyin a hamlet called Sherborne Causeway/Cherry Orchard. I went to primary school in Motcombe -also 2 miles from shaftebury but the other way. There are exit roads all around the town.  My secondary school was in Shaftesbury - sadly no longer there, and a girl in my class married a 'Miles'... small world!

2 years ago while working on the family tree I was very proud to discover that I was the gggg grand daughter of James Hammett, one of the Tolpuddle Martyrs. It was actually Rhodie another member who pointed me in the right direction ..I'm sure she won't mind me telling everyone - she has been such a great help and we met up at the annual festival.

Tolpuddle Martyrs
Hammett,Gibbons,Frampton,Daniel,Collis,Sinnick.
Tiree,Scotland
Macdonald,Mackinnon,Sinclair
Buckley,Smith,Travellers

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 September 07 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Taffi

I knew little of the Tolpuddle Martyrs until Fred got me interested in Dorset history and hanging Judges and the civil war - so I read up much more on Dorset. The Martyrs were some of the very few who made it back from Australia. Most who came, stayed for the rest of their lives, even after their terms finished.

Trish

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 October 07 00:33 BST (UK) »
I managed to get to the Martyrs' museum on Sunday after getting "fired up" by the RC threads. It's a lovely area down that way :). Unfortunately, it looks as if "we" were on the wrong side of the struggle- my folks were farming in Bere Regis and Turners Puddle during the early 19th century, and were presumably on the side of the authorities.  :-[
Fred

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 October 07 01:34 BST (UK) »
I managed to get to the Martyrs' museum on Sunday after getting "fired up" by the RC threads. It's a lovely area down that way :). Unfortunately, it looks as if "we" were on the wrong side of the struggle- my folks were farming in Bere Regis and Turners Puddle during the early 19th century, and were presumably on the side of the authorities.  :-[
Fred

In most "wars" be they civil or outside a country the folks on the ground get little say as to which side they would like to support - "damned if you do & damned if you don't".  It is only after the event (and usually many moons after) with 20:20 vision we hold at fault one side or the other

Trish

PS I am very envious of you meandering around my place of origin with such ease  :)