Author Topic: Death notice for Nicholas EYRE  (Read 8926 times)

Offline Spyder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death notice for Nicholas EYRE
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, Karen.

You have been most helpful. I appreciate your time and effort.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
I know this is old but I just found this which will help confirm Karen's earlier find:
Eyre, Nicholas B.  (Died on 1 Feb 1927) Death notice appeared in Daily Sentinel-Review (Woodstock), 2 Feb 1927, page 7, column 5
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
and here's the funny thing! When christened Jan 25 1847, Lanivet, Cornwall
Nickolas EYRE, parents Henry & Ann

also in 1882 his brother Jacob was a blacksmith
It is odd that most of the children did have middle names at Christening, but it is possible his wasn't written down or decided upon as yet?...

IGI Batch Number: C023561
Also are you aware that the earlier christenings for the children ( 1830-1840) were surname "Eyres"
also  re-use of the names Joanna (Thomas) & Eliza Anne Thomas, so some earlier deaths...and what seems to be multiple baptisms as they are so close together...so perhaps more reuse of names upon deaths as well...
Yes, the FreeBMD confirms there were 2 Jacob Thomas as well...I see they also waited to name some registered babies...awe...
and in case you don't have it Nicholas Bmarried Eliza Pope and there are photos and tons of information now on A******Y
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Spyder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 August 09 00:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot J.J. You have given me the necessary prod to get back to researching this line again.

There were indeed two children named Jacob Thomas. The first was born 1840 but died 1841.

I knew that Nicholas married Eliza but I didn't know her family name. Thanks for bringing Pope to my attention.
I have found one child for this marriage: Margaret, but that's the only information I have.
The middle initial "B" is a mystery. Most of the middle names used for other siblings were taken from parents etc. The "B" doesn't fit.

It seems that the "s" was dropped from Eyre about 1835. I tend to think that Eyres may have come from Hare. I was researching that connection.

Thank you also for the prompt regarding the photos and other information. I'll follow that up.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 August 09 04:53 BST (UK) »
I have found one child for this marriage: Margaret, but that's the only information I have
Yes it was really something that Karen found her and her father for you, wasn't it?
J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 August 09 05:11 BST (UK) »
Bray & Brewer seem to be Bodmin Dist. Eyre middle names...
Sorry, thought I was in 1700's but it was 1800's...Bernard is used a bit, for some distant Cornwall "Aire", but not a lot of B forenames...

Offline Spyder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:42 BST (UK) »
"....it was really something that Karen found her and her father for you, wasn't it?"
Yes, Karen and so many others on this site are fantastic in graciously giving their time, experience and knowledge so that plodders like myself can trace their roots.

J.J. I checked out some of the photos of which you mentioned in your previous post and I will renew my membership to that site in order to further pursue that line.
I have had a few years off from researching but your lead has once again motivated me. Thanks for your input.

Offline paule9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Came across this page by accident.  Nicholas Eyre born 1847 in Lanivet, Cornwall, was the younger brother of my great-grandfather Jacob Thomas Eyre.  My own father knew his grandfather Jacob Eyre very well and knew the family stories.  Jacob and Nicholas Eyre travelled up to London from Cornwall with the intention of emigrating on a ship from Blackwall Pier, Limehouse, East London (which was a major point of emigration at the time).  Whilst they were staying together at a boarding house in Limehouse Jacob met a young lady (Ellen) and fell in love so his plans for emigration were dropped.  His brother Nicholas sailed for America- and the rest (as they say) is history.
I do not have information about Nicholas Eyre's descendants obviously, but we do have lots of info about his (and my) ancestors.  Are you a descendant of Nicholas Eyre (and if so a distant relative of mine) and are you interested in his ancestry or do you already have that info?

Offline Spyder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 May 10 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Paule9. Thanks for your reply.
I am actually a descendant of William Henry Eyre, Jacobs elder brother.
With regard to your branch, I have Henry Alfred born to Jacob and Ellen, 1869.
Henry married Gertrude O'Brien in 1892 and I have some information regarding their seven children and some of their grandchildren.

I'd like to gain some more knowledge about your branch and perhaps pass on to you some of my information. Private message sent.
Mick