Author Topic: Baptism of 1762  (Read 2342 times)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Baptism of 1762
« on: Tuesday 20 June 06 09:40 BST (UK) »
I have just got an extract of a Baptism of William Whitehead who was baptised 9th Apr 1762 Duns, Berwick.
Which mentions the father as George Whitehead and mother Jane Nesbit. but also there are two other names with it William Nesbit and John Whitehead.
Could this be the Fathers of George and Jane ?
I have put the extract on for you to see what i mean. as some words are unclear to me.
Regards Ian
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of 1762
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

This seems to be an example of somebody who has been influenced by medieval writing. They would make lines and dashes to indicate where letters had been missed out and words abbreviated. I'm no expert but there are loads of books on the subject also websites which can give a quick overview.

It says:

William Whitehead lawll {lawfull} son to George Whitehead and Jane Nisbet witts {witnesses} William Nisbet and John Nisbet.

Witnesses where like Godparents (Church of Scotland didn't do Godparents) I would say they are likely close relatives probably grandparents of the child.

The Scottish genealogy society did do the MI's for Duns but do not seem to be listed on the website. Do you know much about the family further back?

Oh one thing though, the deaths for Duns are indexed on the actual microfilm rolle and are from 1798-1816 and 1820-1854. Don't know what they are like though?

Emma

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of 1762
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Emma. that is a hugh help.
This is as far as i have managed to get so far
George Whitehead married Jane Nesbit 22nd Dec 1759 Polwarth, Berwickshire.
I think that is a big clue that George`s father could be John Whitehead.
Would`nt be nice if the english ones had witnesses too !
Ian
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford