Author Topic: Jean Carson, b.c. 1786 Kirkmabreck  (Read 9172 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Jean Carson, b.c. 1786 Kirkmabreck
« on: Tuesday 20 June 06 12:46 BST (UK) »
This thread originated at the end of the Helen Martin thread.

I am trying to find more information about my 3 x great grandmother, Jean/Jane Carson.
From subsequent records she appears to have been born around 1786, probably Kirkmabreck. The only one that fits neatly is:

Jean Culloch Carson, bpt. 7th March 1786 d/o William Carson and Esther Crae/MacCrae/Cree/MacCree.

She married James Burgess 17 Nov 1807 at Longcroft, New Galloway, parish of Kells. She is said to be 'of Kirkmabreck'. Unfortunately the banns records for Kirkmabreck for that period are extant.

I am puzzled because none of her children were named Esther - she had Jean, Margaret, Mary, etc. One of her later daughters was an Annie P Smith Burgess.

Husband's parents are John and Jean or Agnes (? a second marriage of John).

there was a Jean Carson b. Girthon at roughly the same time - parents William Carson and Margaret Porter.

In a letter of January 1835, James Burgess talks about 'staying the night with our old friend in Kirkbride' on their way to Creetown.

Any ideas?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Carson, b.c. 1786 Kirkmabreck
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 13:39 BST (UK) »
A further bit of information which somewhat complicates things is that James Burgess's elder sister Mary Burgess married George Carson at some stage before 1833 - can't find a marriage record - possibly Parton, Balmaclellan or Kells. Parton marriages are extant for the 1820s so I expect it's there  :(

George Carson was definitely the son of William and Esther Carson. He served in the RA during the Napoleonic wars - have his record. Mary bought property in Castle Douglas in the 1820s (brother William died NYC 1823, a wealthy merchant!). By the time that George died in 1834, he was described as a 'spirit dealer'. I have the will. When Mary died in 1849, in Denbighshire, Wales, she is described as 'widow of George Carson, Inn keeper' on her death certificate.

So I'm not sure whether it was brother and sister marrying sister and brother or just coincidence.

This family (one of my main lines) is driving me barmy  ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline westiesmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget  :)

I can't help you with Jean Carson, sorry but thought I'd just mention that I have a Nicholas (Nicky) Carson in my tree. She was born about 1879, married William Smith  and died December 1965 at The Lowes, Corsock.

At this stage I don't have many more details on her as I'm back on my English rellies while I wait for a letter from my cousin (Nicky's gr-daughter) in Gretna but if she is from your tree I can give you some details of her children. The family still live at The Lowes.

Good luck sorting out your Jean  :)

Cheers, Debbie
Thorpe - Burley, Leeds; Misterton, Notts; Hucknall, Notts; Gainsbro <br />Chapman - Wetheringsett, Suffolk;<br />Redmond - Rotherham?<br />Whitham - Rotherham<br />Knighton - Ilkeston, Derby
Smith, McKune, Rae - Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debbie

I don't think either of the Jeans had a sister Nicholas but maybe. I'm getting more convinced that she could be the Girthon one. Her children's names fit irregularly into the pattern.
Yours might be a descendant of one of Jean'ssibs but there are so many Carsons  :-\
Where does the 'P Smith' in  one of her daughter's names come from  - it's a clue but very vague ??? ??? ???

Gadget

Offline westiesmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 21:20 BST (UK) »
Annie Porter would make sense if it's the Girthon Jean

Deb
Thorpe - Burley, Leeds; Misterton, Notts; Hucknall, Notts; Gainsbro <br />Chapman - Wetheringsett, Suffolk;<br />Redmond - Rotherham?<br />Whitham - Rotherham<br />Knighton - Ilkeston, Derby
Smith, McKune, Rae - Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yes that's what I was thinking - but Annie Porter Smith Burgess  :-\  I can't find any Smiths  ???

or Ann/Annies for that matter - still driving me crazy they are 200+ years on  ::)

Gadget

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gadget,

'Your' James Burgess and 'my' Helen Shaw ....the plot thickens ??? To recap, Helen Shaw married a James Burgess ....according to her death registration. Helen was a daughter of Nathan Shaw and Isabella McLean, whose children were all apparently, and co-incidentally, born in Kirkmabreck in the late 1700'sand early 1800's. Helen was the sister of my ggg Isabella Shaw who married John McMurray. Isabella's birth place is variously given as Kirkmabreck or Anwoth - which I understand were 'joined' at one time for church/parish records. I have not come across Jean Carson, yet, but I am beginning to think that there must be a connection between the two James Burgesses. I will keep looking though, and keep you posted if I find a Carson or Smith connection in my searches.

Purple Person
Scatza :D
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Scatza

I was just posting my names when your message popped in ;)
I'm still not sure about your James -he was too young to be mine and my James son James married a Margaret Jones from Llanrwst and was in the North Wales police.

The full list of childrens names of Jean and James  were:

Female
Jean Carson - poss James mother
Margaret - poss Jean's mother
Mary - James sister?
Menie - too many girls - Wihelmina for William Jean's father
Johanna - too many girls as above- James father
Annie P Smith - ??
Helen - ??
Agnes - another poss mother for James?

Male
John - died - James father
William - Jean's father
James - James

Gadget

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 15:07 BST (UK) »
Are there smugglers in your family?  Looking up local history books.  Found reverend Carson of Anworth church suspended for smuggling.  Also Smugglers called Morrison Gault and company.  I've got a lot of old history books of the area.  I'll keep looking and see what comes up.  If you can't find births of certain people there are also the kirk session records which may give you clues but only of course if you can get access to Edinburgh records office or know someone who can.