Author Topic: James Price  (Read 1009 times)

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
James Price
« on: Wednesday 21 June 06 06:15 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any scrap of information ............ James Price is my brick wall. He is on a marr. cert. for Richard Price and Levinia Ann Brannan as colliery haulier, deceased.  Marriage 17/4/1893.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Price
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 10:30 BST (UK) »
have you managed to trace Richard's birth? His birth certificate should give details of father's name and occupation.
I've tried to trace the family back through the various census years from the info you gave.
1901 12 Iron court Gellygaer RG13/5021 folio 24 pg 10
1891 Richard 6a Far Rd RG12/4431 folio 52 pg 36
1891 his sister Susannah still with Grandmother RG12/4431 folio 27 pg 18
1881 Brithdir RG11/5307 folio 62 pg 38
1871 Penygraeg RG10/5387 folio 38 10
William Williams head mar 53 Furnace block layer b. Radnorshire
Mary wife 47 b. Radnorshire
Ann Price stepdaughter unmarried 26 labourer at furnace b. Gellygaer
Catherine Williams dau 7 scholar b. Gellygaer
Richard Price stepson 4 b. Gellygaer
Susannah Price stepdaughter 1 b. Gellygaer
plus 2 lodgers

so, I would assume Ann Price is the mother of Richard and Susannah and she is unmarried. Was there ever a James Price? The one that does show up here is on the 1891 census and he is the 7 year old son of Catherine Blewett - perhaps this was the inspiration for the name on the marriage certificate. Did Susannah marry? And if so, do you have the certificate to see who she gave as father? I thought it would be easier to find Susannah's birth as it's not such a common name but can't see her on Freebmd.

There are 2 entries for a Richard Price both Merthyr Tydfil, 1Q 1866 11a 342 and 3Q 1866. But as this is before compulsory registration, the children may not have been registered especially if there was no father.

I've no idea what relationship the Prices are to the Williams family but on 1891 census Susannah is recorded as Williams. This might be worth investigating in case the father is actually a Williams. Haven't spotted the family as yet on the 1861 or earlier.   
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: James Price
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 03:03 BST (UK) »
I failed to find birth certs for both Richard and Susannah. What i did already have (it got buried in another file) was a copy of the 1851 showing a Richard Price, head 46 blocklayer b. Llanganten Brecs. Ann daughter 7b. Gelligaer Glam. Mary Evans 25 sevant b. Llanbadarn Fawr Rads. Evan Williams lodger 44 b.Merthyr Glam. H.O.107/2457

On the 1841 I found Richard Price 40? Roadlayer. Catherine Price 40?  Both born outside county.H.O.107/1414/7

The William Williams from the 1871 is on the 1861 at Farm Road Pen-y-Waun lodger U 411 blocklayer b. Llanddewy Rad. R.G.9/4045

I think Mary Evans married William Williams.

I found Richard Price .b.1867 on freebmd. at Merthyr Tydfil Apr qtr 1867 11a 398
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk