Author Topic: surname FINNIS  (Read 80500 times)

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: surname FINNIS
« Reply #162 on: Sunday 30 July 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi kimmerz81, welcome to Rootschat :)

I have a Bolden HOOK in my tree, born 1762, Great Mongeham, Kent.
The spelling varies, for example Boulden, Boldin, Boulding., so could well be the same person.

Yes I have a Sarah FINNIS marrying Bolding HOOK in 1784 in Deal, Kent. They are one of my 5x great grandparents.
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Sunday 30 July 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
 Amazing that this topic is still going.

Sarah was sister to my 4xgt grandfather John Finnis 1759-1824.

Their parents were William Finnis and Martha Wells.
Areas: East Kent, Norfolk, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Sussex, London area.
Australia, Canada

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sunday 30 July 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
I've just looked at the scan of the marriage register on FindMyPast.
I see one of the witnesses was Boys WANSTALL.

Boys WANSTALL is my great(x4) grandfather.
Boys was married to Bolden's sister Lydia.
So Bolden is my great(x4)great-uncle, & I now have a FINNIS by marriage in my tree ;D
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline kimmerz81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Monday 31 July 17 06:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks John and AJ for all the info.

Ingram Bromley married Julia Margaret 15.12.1851 in Deal. Ingram was a butcher. They moved to Sandwich, my gt grandfather John Belsey Finnis was born 20th July 1852. He married Ann Spratling b 1857 in Sandwich on 11th November 1877 at The IndependentChapel, Cattle Market, Sandwich.

If you go to the Open Sandwich web site, it is about the town of Sandwich, you will find under History, transcriptions of memorials in St Clement's churchyard. There are two for the Finnis family. On a visit there found the deaths of two of Ingram and Julia's sons which were on the front of the parent's headstone. These two sons' deaths haven't been transcribed. It was by accident I came across this grave.

Finnisfinder
Just another thing, I just noticed the SPRATLING in your post and my mum is a SPRATLING and see I have Ingram Bormley Finnis in my tree already as apparently the father-in-law of my first cousin 3 times removed. They are attached to my mum's dad's side. Bolding HOOK and Sarah Finnis are also on mum's side, but on her mum's side. I may be able to connect the two 'bits' up in my tree I guess lol
Kim

Offline kimmerz81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Monday 31 July 17 06:45 BST (UK) »
Yep the spelling of Bolding has differed over the different records but I keep it at Bolding as his parents were Thomas HOOK and Martha BOLDING married 30 Sep 1745 • Waltham, St Bartholomew, Kent, England. Record is on Find My Past which I dont have but someone thankfully checked for me. I Googled Bolding's name and this massive FINNIS thread showed up  ;D I only got onto the HOOK family after an exhaustive search for my ggg grandfather William SHERWOOD in Australia and his parents listed as William Sherwood and Ann HOOK and there was a whole lot more info on them from there once I cracked that mini brickwall. I didn't have Sarah FINNIS"s parents at all :D
Kim

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Monday 31 July 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
 Seems as if you, Betty of Kent and myself have a connection!

How does your Mum fit into the Spratling line? Are you in Australia?

Maggie
Australia, Canada

Offline kimmerz81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Monday 31 July 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie, Yep my Mum born a Spratling in Victoria, Australia. I think, if I have Ann Spratling's lineage right, that John Spratling and Ann Rowe are the common ancestors there. They are my 3x great grandparents through their son Thomas Spratling who came to Australia and married Mary Ann Pledge.
Kim

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
 I've often hoped I would hear from Australia, of someone descended from Thomas.

When I started doing family history research i did hear from Tony Spratling who then was living quite close to us. Don't know if he is still here. I think he was from Melbourne. However he sent me a copy of Our Southern Lands by Catherine Spratling.

It was great to read the letters sent from UK and back. One I think written by my gt Grandmother Ann.

How much do you know about East Kent and where they lived in Sandwich. I was brought up there.

Are you on Facebook? There is a closed group on there called Nostalgic Sandwich, loads of photos from long ago plus more up to date things.

That would be great if you can connect up Sarah Finnis to the Spratling side. Be interested to know that.

Maggie
Australia, Canada

Offline kimmerz81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie, Years ago I was in contact with Tony Spratling but has been a while. I also have the Spratling book. My grandparents being Geoffrey Russell Jones Spratling and Lucy May Loft/Candy. I don't know a whole lot about East Kent/Sandwich.
Yes definitely on Facebook daily. I'll add myself to that group.
Sarah Finnis married Bolding Hook. Daughter Ann Bolding Hook married William Sherwood. Son William Sherwood married Emma Rebecca Jacobs (in Australia). Son William Frederick Sherwood married Violet Ethel Brown. Daughter Violet Dorothy May Sherwood married Arthur Ronald Loft. Daughter Lucy married Geoffrey Spratling. Then of course, up from Geoffrey to John and Ann Spratling, and down to your Ann. If that makes any sense lol. Have you done dna by any chance?
Kim

ps. I'm listed in the Spratling book also