Author Topic: surname FINNIS  (Read 80499 times)

Offline nickfinnis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname FINNIS
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 10 December 09 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi finnisfinder.

I know very little about my family tree. I know my uncle (who I never met) did a full research into the history and traced back many years.

I am son of Keith Finnis (1961) and his mother was Cynthia Finnis (1923) but couldn't say what my grandad was called.

Maybe you could help!? We are all from Kent area ...

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 10 December 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »

There were lots of Finnises around the East Langdon, Dover, Deal areas, also Maidstone I believe. Where in Kent do you come from?

You might find some clues in the messages posted on this topic.
Areas: East Kent, Norfolk, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Sussex, London area.
Australia, Canada

Offline Trueman987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I'm only recently into FINNIS finding and looking at the FINNIS, WILMOT and BRICE connections as they link to the CANNEYS of Deal.  Is the Susanna Finnis who married John Roberts the daughter of John Finnis [1722] and Elizabeth Wilmot [1721]?  Special thanks to "Oldpsycho" for listing the siblings of Wilmot Finnis, the father-in-law of my Edward Canney.
And thanks to "Blue" for offering photos of the wheelwrights, &c. in East Langdon.  :) They would be much appreciated. Email for private messages to be supplied.  Thanks, Trueman987

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
 I think Susannah daughter of John and Elizabeth was born in 1758 and married William Neame in 1776.

I made the mistake of thinking a Susannah Finnis had married John Roberts in 1772. Somebody checked the registers for me, found Susannah Finnis had married Richard Roberts 26th Nov 1772, witnesses were Elizabeth Wells and John Roberts. This Susannah was the daughter of William Finnis and Martha Wells

She found the marriage of Susannah and William. The name John Roberts appeared in the registers in 1774 and 1776 but not married to a Finnis.

Hope this is helpful?
Australia, Canada

Offline Trueman987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thankyou;  I appreciate all your hard work and helpfulness.  Exploring the Finnis family connections is new territory for me but quite rewarding.  >:( Thanks again, Trueman987.

Offline attani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 April 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
I am parochial church secretary for St Pancras in Coldred.

In our church yard we have a tomb listing over 6 Finnis family members, for example

“to the memorial of

Ann Finnis,

she died 5th October 1819,

Aged 79

AII????

The tomb is sadly in very poor condition and we would be interested to find if any living members of the family would be interested in helping us maintain the tomb as our small congregation of 19 do well, with the help of village volunteers, to maintain the essentials of the building and grounds.

I would be happy to send some photos of the tomb and more detail if you are interested.

Offline Lulu777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 22 April 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
thank you for your email.
I am researching Finnis as it is a middle name of a half sister of an ancestor.
I have no direct relationship with any Finnis family that I am aware of

All the best with your endeavours to preserve the historical item

Offline AEnone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In reference to the postings by lulu777 (7/8/06) and finnisfinder (20/4/08), I am researching the same family for one of my friends. However, I have discrepancies with some of your information.
I can tell you that William Holyman, son of Mary Finnis and John Holyman, was born in 1776 and christened at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent.
According to the IGI, William married Sarah Williams (not Greenway) in 1821 at Walmer, Kent. This now confuses me, as the name Greenway appears in one of their children. As far as I am aware, their issue were: Wilhelmina Elizabeth 1821; Caroline Finnis 1823; Georgiana Mary Greenway 1825; and Mary Anne 1827, all born Kent.
I understood that William and Sarah and their family then travelled to Tasmania, where they had a son William in 1833 in Devonport. Yet you say that William die in 1827 and Sarah remarried Dolbey??
Can you put me straight on this? I have other information on this family and would be happy to exchange it.
Cheers,
AEnone.

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 08:42 BST (UK) »

I haven't got any further than birth of William Holyman so can't help with his family.

I looked on IGI Record Search Pilot, Marriage of Mary and John 7th November 1775, birth of William 15th November 1776, baptised 1st December 1776.

As you say marriage of William to Sarah Williams 1821 Walmer, but two dates given, 10th/27th June.

Then Georgiana Mary "Granway" Holyman baptised 2nd March 1825 Walmer.

Perhap Greenway was a family name, not found it on the Finnis side.

Have you done any other web searches for the Greenway family?

Sorry, can't be any more help.

Finnisfinder.
Australia, Canada