Author Topic: Where do I start here???  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where do I start here???
« on: Wednesday 21 June 06 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Where do I start trying to find my father's family.  His name was John Dye born 1914 in Dundee.  All I know is his father's name was David and I think, but not sure, his mothers name was Catherine.

He did have many brothers and sisters all born in Dundee too!!

Elizabeth1

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start here???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
Nowhere online to find his birth (Scotlandspeople only goes to 1905). A trip to Register House in Edinburgh would provide it. I've just discovered that the Society of Genealogists Library has microfiche of the birth registers in Scotland till 1920.

I'm planning my first visit there on Saturday and looking for a 1917 birth as well as lots of stuff I know in the parish registers.

Got a bit to look up but just became a member and live very close so could try to look it up for you if you want. I have never been there before and as it is less than 100 years Scotlandspeople rule of 100 years I don't imagine there will be a serachable database. Do you have any idea of a month for his birth?

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply!! I can't go to Edinburgh as I have ill/disabled husband at home to look after!
However someone has already said they could do a search for me in Dundee, may get back to her tomorrow! Really kind of her I thought!!

I have just been doing everything on the computer via Scotlandspeople until now, all the BMD finish on there 1905, 1930 and 1955.

Elizabeth1

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gordon,

Yes John Dye born August 1914 in Dundee.  I think it was either the 4th or the 5th August.

Elizabeth1

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 00:56 BST (UK) »
I've done all my searching at the computer so far(mainly through Scotlandspeople-brilliant site but so easy to lose track of the cost!) Need to get to Register House and about to sort out the long weekend home to the parents where can see them and pop through to Edinburgh. The SoG could solve one of my needs for Edinburgh and still more than happy to look at Dundee microfiche (1914 should be covered from what I've read) if have a definite (i.e. start of August) point to look for. Send me a pm depending on your Dundee contact.
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Yes it is August 4th/5th  1914 for John Dye birth.  I have just found his parents marriage a few minutes ago on Scotlandspeople, they married in 1903 in Dundee.   Sorry can you tell me how I send you a pm on here, never done this before.  I know it will be easy to do and give you my e-mail address etc. but where do you click to send a pm.

Elizabeth1

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:10 BST (UK) »
Never sent one myself tho have received them!

Think it is through the green scroll in the symbols below somebody's onscreen name.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 06 01:13 BST (UK) »
Ok Gordon,

Will give that a try, just let me know if you receive my message ok.

Elizabeth1

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 October 06 20:14 BST (UK) »
hi elizabeth. i had a great great grandfather from dundee. so i sent an e.mail to the town hall in dundee with all the stuff that i was wanting and they sent me all the stuff that i was wanting and more so i hope this help you.
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol