Author Topic: Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border  (Read 10388 times)

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:19 BST (UK) »
My family history includes the following paragraph:

"Lettice Huband (Sharman) was born at Edenham (Lincolnshire), and was baptised there on 24th May 1874. At the time of the 1891 census 17 year old Lettice was living in Eastbourne, Sussex with her half-sister Ada Smith. Both gave their occupation as draper’s assistant. On 31st January 1900 at Edenham Lettice married widower Thomas William Green, who was a 29 year old farmer from North Yorkshire. They went to live in Thomas’s home village of Hutton Magna, which lies just off the road from Scotch Corner to Bowes (now the A66). Thomas Green had married Betsy Shields in late-1896, and they had a daughter, Beatrice Maud. However, that marriage was short-lived as Betsy died on 25th September 1898 aged 32. She was buried at Stanwick – a hamlet about four miles east of Hutton Magna. Beatrice died on 3rd December 1906 aged 9. Soon after Thomas and Lettice married they had a daughter, Florence. Lettice’s half-sister Ada Smith was again living with her at the time of the 1901 census, but now as a domestic servant. On 15th July 1901 - about eighteen months after her marriage - Lettice died aged just 27. She, Betsy and Beatrice are commemorated on a shared stone in Hutton Magna churchyard."

Does anyone have anything to add to this please? What became of Florence Green? Did Thomas Green remarry?
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't have anything to add as such, just to mention I think Lettice's middle name was HUBBARD. Also, I wonder how she felt as "Lettice Green" (I believe there was also an Olive in the family.)
Putting the question the other way round - have you yourself been able to find out more about the further history of this Green family? I do know that, at least until recently, Greens were still living in the village.
My wife is descended from a Green of Hutton Magna.
Murphicle

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Murphicle, for keeping this thread alive. I'd given up on receiving any further contact on this one although I did get a couple of letters after an appeal in the press last year. Lettice got her middle name from her mother, so we can be fairly certain about the spelling. My research has yielded little since my last posting. The relevant section in the embryonic second edition of my family history reads as follows:

"Lettice Huband (Sharman) was born at Edenham (Lincolnshire), and was baptised there on 24th May 1874. At the time of the 1891 census 17 year old Lettice was living in Eastbourne, Sussex with her half-sister Ada Smith. Both gave their occupation as draper’s assistant. On 31st January 1900 at Edenham Lettice married widower Thomas William Green, who was a 29 year old farmer from North Yorkshire (born 2nd February 1871 at Hutton Magna). They went to live in Thomas’s home village of Hutton Magna, which lies just off the road from Scotch Corner to Bowes (now the A66). Thomas Green had married Betsy Shields at Hutton Magna on 27th September 1896, and the following year they had a daughter, Beatrice Maud. However, that marriage was short-lived as Betsy died aged 32 on 25th September 1898 – just two days short of her second wedding anniversary. She was buried at Stanwick St John, which lies about four miles east of Hutton Magna. Beatrice died of diphtheria on 3rd December 1906 aged 9. Soon after Thomas and Lettice married they had a daughter, Florence. Known as “Florrie”, she was baptised at Hutton Magna on 3rd October 1900. Lettice’s half-sister Ada Smith was again living with her at the time of the 1901 census, but now as a domestic servant. On 15th July 1901 - about eighteen months after her marriage - Lettice died aged just 27. She, Betsy and Beatrice are commemorated on a shared stone in Hutton Magna churchyard. Florence survived but never married - she was a housekeeper at Westwick near Barnard Castle until she died.

Lettice Huband junior’s name was, like her mother’s, sometimes misspelt. The final indignity in this respect was that the stonemason spelt her middle name “Hubard” on her gravestone.

On Lettice’s death in 1901 Thomas William Green was left with two small children (although Beatrice would die in 1906). He might well have had help from his numerous relatives in the village and surrounding area, but it is perhaps understandable that he married for a third time. In 1909 he married Julia Smith, who was seven years his junior and bore him eight children. Julia died in 1947 aged 69, and Thomas William Green himself died in November 1951 aged 80." 

I have had contact from a descendent of Thomas and Julia; but if anyone can add more to this section with particular reference to Lettice or Florence, I would be glad to receive the information. I don't have a target date for the production of this edition of my family history, but I'd like to put it to bed sometime within the next ten tears - ideally much sooner! 
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Sherlock1207 - thanks for the reply, & for the additional information, which I'll incorporate into our on-going history.

Yes, I got the "Hubbard" from the gravestone - we had a good look at the (well-kept!) group of graves a couple of years back. What puzzled me when researching this part of the family was - what was Thomas doing in lincolnshire? Have you anything on that?

My guess is that the Greens who were certainly still living in a "Green" house in Hutton very recently would be Thomas' family.

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 07 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Good question - how did Thomas and Lettice meet? Her sister married a James Ake from Finghall near Bedale, and it's a mystery how they got together too. Maybe we'll never know.

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to think some more about that. 19th century equivalent of marriage bureaux? Farming mafia?

Offline greenr76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 November 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As my username will tell you I am a Green descendant from the Hodgson Green line.  I am just beginning to research my family history and came across your post.  I am not sure which side of the family you are descended from/ researching as I have only just started, however my research indicated that all roads seem to lead back to Hutton Magna or the Richmond locality.

I would be willing to help with your research should it come to my line of the family or alternatively any help you may have would be gratefully received.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 November 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm a Sharman and I'm researching offshoots of my own family line. You can find an edited version of my efforts online at http://homepages.tesco.net/~jksharman/sharmanfamhist1.htm . Sadly progress has been very slow of late!

Offline greenr76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 November 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  Im not sure where it fits in to the tangled web I find myself but I am sure it will.  I am planning on visiting Hutton Magna soon myself so maybe it will become clearer then.

Thanks