Author Topic: Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border  (Read 10390 times)

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have never been able to spend more than a couple of hours in the village, but below I copy a note I have just sent to Richard Green (I will copy to website) re the topography of Hutton Magna. Am I right? [Of course, I cannot include here the map web address, but that will be no problem for you]

<<Not strictly concerning the Greens, especially as it concerns an era when they did not yet live at Hutton, I just found it interesting to compare the attached photo of Hutton from the air, with the map (link below). I had known from walking the track behind the church that there was evidence that the village had been partly "moved" (I would say almost certainly by the Robinsons (or their predecessors) of Hutton Hall), from very obvious field evidence (very clear on the photo). But I was not sure whether the field remains dated from, say, an outbreak of the plague, which might have decimated the village. But now I am sure that the Robinsons re-ordered the village (to improve their own view!), as you can see from the map that "Green Lane" takes a sudden eastward turn, then equally suddenly veers north, to the one-street village). The old Green Lane can beseen as a dotted-line track, leading to the Wycliffe road.

The church's position is interesting: I believe the old church was there too, so, presumably, in the middle ages, the church was to the east, rather than the west, of the village. From my cursory knowledge of the village, there are no houses earlier than, say, 1650, apart from Hutton Hall itself. So did the Robinsons do their bit of social engineering in the 17th century?>>

Offline rayt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I've just Googled "Lettice Huband" and came up with this discussion.

My 4X GGrandMother was also called Lettice Huband which was at the start of this thread. I can't believe that this is just a coincidence of such an unusual combination of names & wonder whether your relative was named after mine.

I don't have a birth date for her yet but she married Thomas Clayton on 28th May 1793 at All Saints, Evesham, Worcestershire. They moved to Berkshire by 1806, Thomas being a printer & bookseller. Lettice died in Reading 22 January 1832 & Thomas 25 March 1833.

They had 6 children including my 3X GGrandFather Charles James Clayton, another printer. He named one of his children Thomas Huband Clayton.

The IGI entry for the marriage is very vague so I hope to go to Worcester soon to see the original & hopefully get further back. The NT site for surnames shows that Huband, although quite rare, was most common in Worcestershire.

I found this out for the first time last night & had never heard of the name Huband before. This morning there is a letter in the Daily Telegraph written by a R J Huband of Ashton under Hill, Worcestershire. How weird is that?

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 January 12 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid it IS just another co-incidence. I entered that name very early in my researches, but found there were errors in my sources, and (I'm afraid) did not get back on here to correct it. The lady in question was, in fact, born Lettice Hubard Sharman. The "Hubard" is often mis-spelt in the sources, as "Huband". In fact, even now, I am not sure which is correct. Her mother's name was (at marriage) Lettice Hueband Smith, just to confuse the issue. Clearly a family name, but people seemed unsure of the spelling. However, I don't think ours can be connected with yours, as our "Huband/Hubards" were born/married in Bourne, Lincs., and Lettice married Thomas William Green 1900 at Bourne, but died sadly within two years, at Hutton Magna, Teesdale.

Just to lighten things up a bit - Mrs Lettice Green had a sister-in-law (I think) called Mrs Olive Green.

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Lettice's mother was also Lettice Huband as this short extract from my "Sharman Family History" relates:

George and Sarah Sharman had four sons and three daughters – George, Charles Thomas, Henry, Sarah, Catherine, Richard and Mary Ann. The children’s mother Sarah (née Bellamy) died in the summer of 1866, and in the spring of 1871 George remarried.

George’s second wife was widow Lettice Smith (née Hensman). They married at Bourne parish church on 3rd April 1871, and in the register entry for their marriage Lettice is shown as a widow innkeeper.   

As well as having an unusual first name, Lettice had the middle name of Huband (the spelling of which varies in censuses and transcriptions). Lettice was George’s junior by about thirteen years, having been born at Pinchbeck on 20th April 1836 and baptised there on 1st May 1836. Her parents were John Hensman, a tailor, and Mary (née Alcock). At the time of the 1851 census Lettice was housemaid to two ladies in London Road, Spalding. On 14th June 1859 Lettice Hensman married William Smith, a groom, at Whittlesey.

Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline howvillages

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 April 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
To all members interested in the Greens at Hutton Magna and environs, our group researching the HOW villages ie. Hutton Magna, Ovington and Wycliffe have now completed their research and produced a booklet thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund and the NOrthern Rock Foundation. There are several entries and photographs about the Green family.  I am able to send, free of charge in the UK, a copy of this booklet to interested researchers. Please email me with your name and address to (*). Anne Noble, Project Co-ordinator.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 April 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Whilst I understand why the moderator removed your e-mail address, I am glad to have got my request for a copy of this nicely produced little book in before he/she did so. I'm sure that I wouldn't have found you via the PM system - indeed, I didn't know what PM meant in a non-political context until just now! Anyhow, it's a nicely produced work and at least of interest (and hopefully of some use) to anyone whose research leads them to the HOW villages. Thank you, Anne and Tony.
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline howvillages

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 June 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Greens, Following the publication of our booklet on the HOW Triangle, you might be interested a question which has come in from a Jack Neasham which is posted on our project website at howvillages co uk. Not sure if any of you have any info on the Black Death at Hutton Magna around 1660 but check out the page on the website entitled "Can You Help?" Regards, Anne and Tony.

Offline greenr76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Has the HOWvillages website been removed?  Also do anyone have a copy of the booklet that was produced that they would be willing to share?

Regards,

Richard