Author Topic: Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border  (Read 10387 times)

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Green at Hutton Magna on Yorks/Durham border
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 November 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm pleased to see this topic revived. I have now got a pretty complete "tree" of "both sides" of the Green dynasty at Hutton Magna, although some of my additions post-1901 are a bit of a guess. One of the Hodgson Greens (1873) seems to "disappear" after about 1895, when he married Jessie Alexander. Have you any info on this? I gather you are descended from the Hodgson Greens. May I ask which line? I was in Hutton earler this year, and tried to find the "memorial garden" to Eric Green, but without success.

Offline greenr76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 November 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I take it you mean Hodgson Green of Startforth?  I have him down for 1874 (sorry if this seems like splitting hairs!).  I also had him married too Jessie Hutchinson (1895 in Teesdale) with two sons.  I dont have firm evidence of this yet but when I do, I am happy to share.

I am descended from the William Green (1866 Brignall) line who was the older brother of the above Hodgson.   If you need any further information on this line, please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Ive not come across a Eric Green yet but I am pretty sure I havent unearthed the majority of the family around the late 1700s.  Do you have any information on who preceeded Hodgson Green 1775 (Hutton Magna) or if he had any siblings?

Thanks

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 November 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, that's the H.G. I mean, but I have his wife as Jessie ALEXANDER. Yes, two sons. But in 1901 Jessie is working in a hotel in Croft, married, no sign of Hodgson. The boys are with Jessie's own family, also in Croft. After that - I find nothing. Did they emigrate, with Hodgson already absent in 1901, preparing the way?

William Green the policeman - I have him in Maryport. police sergeant. I have his wife's death, 1951 Maryport, but not his, William Green being too common a name! Have you got it?

Eric Green, unless I have got it badly wrong, was one of the last Greens to be still living in Hutton. Born 1942, died 1999, wife still lives at Hutton Farm. His gravestone is very clear in the churchyard.

Offline greenr76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 November 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Thank you for the useful information on H.G. I will do some digging myself and see what I can find.

As for William, he died on the 20th March 1932.  He is buried in Salterburn Cemetery which is an area of Workington, Cumbria.  If you need to know the descendents from William and his wife Ann Sharp Green (nee Fleming), then I can give you more information.  Do you know they had two sons? - one of which is my grandad.

Do you have a Green family tree to view?  It would be useful to confirm dates etc I have.

Thanks

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 November 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that new info - all helps to get a complete picture.

I have two sons to them: William Hodgson Green c 1894 Keswick, and George Fleming Green c 1896, St Johns Vale (what a lovely place to be brought up). I have no further details, though. Which one was your grandfather?

I have noticed that, co-incidentally, there was another dynasty of Hodgson Greens, in Cumberland, which I presume had nothing to do with yours.

As I said, I have an almost complete Green Tree on my F.T. It is viewable on Genes Reunited, but if you're not on that, and have a GEDCOM family tree "at home", I can send you the details (at least I think I can) via email, if you let me have your email address. I've got them back to about 1745.

Offline greenr76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Ive sent you a private message  ;D

Offline howvillages

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Our community group is carrying out a people's history of the villages of Hutton Magna, Ovington and Wycliffe. One of our volunteers is the widow of Eric Green and other Greens are involved.. We will be producing a booklet in the spring with our findings. You can find out more about this at our website howvillages.co.uk and perhaps add to some of our research. File attached is of volunteers at Eric Green Memorial Garden.

Offline murphicle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this on behalf of my wife, Ann - descendant of Jane Green, born 1839, Hutton Magna. We will be following this closely. We did try to find the memorial garden last time we were in Hutton, not realising it was a project still in development.

Two recent findings by myself and a direct Green descendant. We know that the building of Winston Bridge, for Mr Robinson, was supervised by William Green, who was born in the Shotley area of Tynedale c. 1738, and that (we think) all the Greens of Hutton descend from him (and the Hodgson Greens were masons to the Constable family of Wycliffe Hall, notably Tommy Green, born 1802.).

But my "Green" contact tells me that there is a belief in the family that there is a connection with the important architect family, Greens of Newcastle (who originated around the same area). Can it be just a co-incidence that the suspension bridge at Whorlton - the next bridge on the Tees - built 50 years later, was built by John Green of that Newcastle family?

Offline howvillages

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt response. I will pass this onto the Green Family members and get back to you but there may be a delay due to holidays in October so do not think we have forgotten about you if that happens. In the meantime we hope to be updating the website so keep an eye open there also -   howvillages.co.uk
Do you have any stories of your own family as we are doing a destination section in our booklet ie. where did people from the HOW villages end up and putting in a few examples of interesting ones? Also any photos - particularly old photos as we are short of those.
Looking forward to working with you on this research and anyone else who might be interested. Anne.