Author Topic: Lookup 1841/51/61 census Joseph brown  (Read 718 times)

Offline chezzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lookup 1841/51/61 census Joseph brown
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi researching info on my gggg grandfather Joseph Brown born abt. 1776 - 78 ish he served on the victory under nelson and was a greenwich pensioner born in london he married a girl called sarah and had a daughter i know of called elizabeth maybe more would be very grateful to any1 that could find any info

Thx chezzz

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup 1841/51/61 census Joseph brown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
Joseph Brown in London - there are no shortage of those.  When and where was Elizabeth born/christened, where in London did they live, when did Joseph die, when did Sarah die, etc.  Would you expect Elizabeth to be married by this stage? (and also WHERE did she marry as that might be a clue to where to find them in the censuses) Might be worth looking for her married in the censuses in case Joseph and/or Sarah moved in with them.

I checked out three Joseph Browns born and living in London aged 60-70 but none of them seemed to fit - no pensioners, none living with a Sarah or Elizabeth.  If he wasn't living in London then it would be even more difficult because then he would be listed as 'out of county' in the area where he was and there's 71 of those on Origins and that doesn't even cover the entire country.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chezzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
I would imagine Joseph died at the royal greenwich hospital as he was one of the greenwich pensioners and his daughter elizabeth was born in gravesend as for sarah dont really know alot about her. In 1803 he was 27 .They all lived in the greenwich area

not alot to go on i know :(

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 14:17 BST (UK) »
'Greenwich Pensioner' does not necessarily mean he died at the Royal Greenwich Hospital.  It just means he had a pension from the Navy.  (in the same way that "Chelsea Pensioner" means an army pension).  Greenwich refers to the office out of which the pensions were paid.  Only if he's listed as being on an 'in pension' would he be in a hospital; most people are on the 'out pension' list

Try posting to the Kent forum, as Gravesend and Greenwich both fall under Kent. (I don't have access to Kent 1841).  Include date or year of birth for Elizabeth, and approximate date she married (and who to) as this would really help people looking for them in later censuses!

A Joseph Brown m. a Sarah Spooner 30 Mar 1807 at St. Alphage, Greenwich, Kent.  Gravesend baptisms are on the IGI until 1812 but can't spot Sarah - was she born after this?  I do see two children, one Elizabeth in 1815 and one John James in 1822, christened in Woolwich to a Joseph and Sarah but who knows if they're yours.

Offline kennyb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Chezzz.
                This looks like yours. Greenwich Hospital 1851.HO107/1587 F 467

Joseph Brown 75 Widower pensioner Southwark Surry.

KenB