Author Topic: Distrestoration - for those with imagination but not many photos  (Read 14720 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Distrestoration - for those with imagination but not many photos
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 June 06 07:57 BST (UK) »
My problem is not imagining what any of my ancestors looked like, I tend to visualise them when I am researching them anyway, may not be a correct visualisation of them but it is how I see them and as they are all dead, noone can correct me.  For instance George Pilbeam, farmer, Sussex, 1851 was fat and bucolic with a bit of a temper. 

My problem would be transcribing those images onto something physical.  How do you start?  How do you choose your medium?

Kerry  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 June 06 08:48 BST (UK) »
I think you can sometimes go by what the descendants look like, whether the face was round, square or long, nose & ears are also a clue, & some eyes are very sunken.

I am one of the lucky ones & have 3 large albums of my grandmother & gt.g'mother's going back to the mid 1800's, but my husband's side is not as fortunate, but I have made contacts over 20 years or more & have gleaned a few photos of his gt.g'parents & also more of mine, .... so put your ancestor's names on a number of well known sites & get those contacts, photos are so easy to copy now without fear of them being lost.

I have imagined relatives completely wrong through corresponding with them, & then to meet them & be totally surprised :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:00 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's accuracy of looks that I was really saying. It's a whole feeling that you might have about them - colours, shapes, textures.
Those photos that some put up that are out of focus or torn or faded might be a start.
Don't be too literal.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:25 BST (UK) »
I see what you're saying Gadget,  :)
a general perception you have of folks from that era & social standing, .... I'm not too good at putting images to paper, with my painting I was better copying something  :-\  ..... I suppose it's a bit like impressionist images that you're thinking of, it sounds very inspiring & would put your own slant on your history.

Yvonne 

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:26 BST (UK) »
Having chosen nursing as a career Keith's  suggestion that it was a woman's way of thinking got me wondering if there is something about the way male/female brains are wired up when it comes to visualisation of things   - or is it just that my wires are crossed.

Russell, I did once hear that a womans brain is exacly the same as a mans, it's just that god put them in back to front.

Name not for publication
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
I quite like you once Denn  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
a general perception you have of folks from that era & social standing, .... I'm not too good at putting images to paper, with my painting I was better copying something  :-\  ..... I suppose it's a bit like impressionist images that you're thinking of, it sounds very inspiring & would put your own slant on your history.

Yvonne 

Your getting there Yvonne - exactly. Try thinking of how you drew and painted as a child. That's what you have to feel. (That's what Picasso tried to do, so who's to argue  :))

Take Kerry's fatty, bucolic farmer, for example, I can nearly draw the image now. Apple- shaped - red jagged edges, swirling mist, rub some of it out, emery paper it......

better have another coffee, I'm into right brain stuff  ;D

Gadget

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 June 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
Do you know I might find some paints or something and have a go at that!  I just need to tell my brain not to try to be literal.  Think Picasso or Monet or something rather than photo!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 June 06 10:53 BST (UK) »

Yvonne 

Your getting there Yvonne - exactly. Try thinking of how you drew and painted as a child. That's what you have to feel. (That's what Picasso tried to do, so who's to argue  :))

Take Kerry's fatty, bucolic farmer, for example, I can nearly draw the image now. Apple- shaped - red jagged edges, swirling mist, rub some of it out, emery paper it......

better have another coffee, I'm into right brain stuff  ;D

Gadget

My painting was too chocolate boxy, more realist until we were shown how to just suggest something in a minimulist fashion, but I think I was too old when I took to painting again, a child picks those things up better before he's been influenced by traditional methods.