Author Topic: McInnes  (Read 1598 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
McInnes
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 20:06 BST (UK) »
According to the LDS Ann McInnes was born in Crieff on 31 Dec 1809, the daughter of William McInnes and Ann Murray. 

I suspect that this may be the same Ann McInnes who married Robert Hannah in Denny, Stirlingshire on 02 Jun 1838.  I know from the 1871 census that she was born in Crieff and her 1890 death cert states that her parents were William McInnes and Ann unknown

The only problem is that the 1871 census gives her age as 51, which would suggest a birth date of around 1820.  The death cert ties in with this.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McInnes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
Could the 1809 have been a typo or a mis-read date by the LDS and should in fact be 1819.

This would tie in with 1820 and also with a marriage in 1838, when she would have been 19 as opposed to 29. They tended to marry young in the 1800's.

You may want to consider spending £6 on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to verify the birth from the OPRs (if they have it)
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline Mo1066

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
I have the 1890 death certificate for Ann Hannah age 70 wife of Robert. Her parents are listed as John McInnes weaver (deceased) and Margaret MS ------ (dec) Informant was son John Hannah.
I am not convinced that her mother was Margaret as I can find no mention of such a couple.
Hastings, Nicol, Honeyman, Nisbet,McNeill, Farquhar, Kerr, Hannah - mainly in Falkirk/Larbert

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
oops! apologies - you are correct about Ann's parents.

I checked on Scotlands People for Ann (with the right parents) and could find no trace of her.

Where to look now?

???

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Mo1066

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

To add to the mystery , I found a death of an Alexander McInnes in 1897 in Bothkennar - he was 84 , and death was registered by his nephew William Hannah. His parents were John & Isabella Malcolm. The 1881 census gives his birthplace as Crieff.
IGI has 9 children for this couple - all born in Crieff but none of them Ann or Alexander !
Isabella makes more sense in the naming pattern than Margaret for Ann's mother.
If anyone can shed light on this I would be grateful

Mo
Hastings, Nicol, Honeyman, Nisbet,McNeill, Farquhar, Kerr, Hannah - mainly in Falkirk/Larbert