Author Topic: Austin or Green in Ruscombe??  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Tease

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Austin or Green in Ruscombe??
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

I have just started researching my family tree a few months ago, prompted by the death of my grandmother. I wondered if there was anyone researching either the lines of Austin or Green in Ruscombe. Austin seems to have been from Ruscombe for quite a while, but Green has gone back through Mapledurham, Oxon and Langley, Buckinghamshire.

Anyway, if there is anyone else out there, I would love to hear from you,

i'm sure i'll be on here all the time, it looks like a great resource to have under your belt!

Thankyou, and good luck to everyone!

Louise
x

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Austin or Green in Ruscombe??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome Louise,
If you have a name and birth date and county perhaps we can start you off in 1901 I am sure you will become addicted. :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Louise,
I have a Green family (very distant to me) in Mapledurham in the early 19th century but to date my information says that the Patriarch, William Green married to Lucy Collins, was born in West Hendred in 1788.  Is this likely to have anything to do with your Greens?
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome Louise,
If you have a name and birth date and county perhaps we can start you off in 1901 I am sure you will become addicted. :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome Louise,

Offline Tease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
Goodness me! Replies already!! Thankyou.

The furthest Green that I have is Joseph Green (Abt 1798?) married to Rebecca. They were in Langley, but the William Green in Mapledurham was my GG grandfather. His dob was 1839, it was his daughter, Amelia Green (later Austin) that was my grandmothers mother.

Does any of that sound familiar to you Vicwinann? If it does, i've got a beautiful family photograph showing William and his wife Annie and we 'think' their children?

Thankyou irret, i've done all that I can in 1901. I've gone back through all the Census's for these Greens and Austins, i'm desperate to link up with someone else that may be related. I love the old photos, and would be over the moon if I found someone who I can compare notes with!

Louise
x

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 06 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Louise,
Sorry for being tardy in my reply. Somehow I must have missed yours. Apologies.  Unfortunately the names that you mention are not familiar to me, but  I have the Mapledurham PRs from Oxford Family History Society, and there is a baptism on 28 April 1839 for an Alfred Green son of William and Lucy a labourer.   I can find no christening for a William in 1839 but the above Alfred has a couple of siblings
There is a christening for an Amelia on 18 Aug 1878 dau of William and Annie, a gardener of Vicarage Yard.  She sounds as if she is yours. Baptisms for this couple go back to 1867 on the fiche and it would seem that William was a gardener for the Vicar.   Hope this helps.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Tease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 July 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thankyou sooo much. That is brilliant, and yes, that is definatley my Ameilia in 1878.

Can you tell me how I can find the info on the PRs? I have no clue even where to start.  Ive not ventured into that yet, and am facinated, especially as you have now managed to tell me that he was a gardener for the vicar!!!

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Louise
x

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Louise,
I am presuming that you cannot get to Oxfordshire or Berkshire Record Offices to look at the actual registers yourself.   However, Oxford Family History Society has published the Mapledurham PRs as a transcription to buy on fiche (amongst many other parishes), and it also offers a look up service. If you go to their website all the info is there: http://www.ofhs.org.uk/services.html  Some parish registers that they offer are now available on cd, but sadly not the Mapledurham ones yet.  Otherwise, it is a case of paying someone, or the relevant record office, to do a search for you.  Not cheap!

Vicwinann