Author Topic: Tips on visiting the SoG library  (Read 1600 times)

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Tips on visiting the SoG library
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 23:44 BST (UK) »
I've just joined the Society of Genealogists  and going to make my first visit there to use the library on Saturday.  Going to be looking at the Scottish parish registers (and a couple of Cumberland and Northumberland entries). I've started to make a prioritised list of the register entries that I've found on IGI and Scotlandspeople that I'm most interested in.

I've only been researching for a few months and have only been an internet genealogist so far so was wondering if anybody had any tips to help me through the first day (in the library and with microfiche!).

I'm expecting a rather slow and unproductive first day but a local bus route goes past the SoG and now a member so I definitely envisage a  more visits there in the near future (also a lot easier than trying to tie in a visit through to Edinburgh when visiting my parents to look at them there!).

Many thanks in advance

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on visiting the SoG library
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I havent got much advise to offer, but thought I would wish you all the best.

I have visited the SofG twice in the past, both fleetingly as I am not a member so just paid for an hour or two.

The first time was when the index was manual, and it was so huge and daunting I didnt know where to begin. but even so I still found some VERY useful info on that visit in the Monumantal inscriptions.
The second visit I seem to recall, had computers with the indexes on. But I dont recall finding as much info that time!
So, my advice for what it is worth is
 - take your time, if you can revisit as much as you like you can afford that luxury!
- ASK , there are always people around who work there and so can direct you to the right place
- dont be swamped by the vastness of it all! So much information that it seems an impossibiltiy to sift out what is relevant to you - but I'm sure it can be done!

If you are in London, I would NEVER be just an internet geneologist! MAke sure you pay a visit to the FRC (Myddleton Street, Islington)(for BMD indexes, all censuses, plus other stuff, all free) and to the Probate Registry, Holborn (Index of wills after 1858, free), without delay!

Quotes from the book 'Who Do you think you are?':

".....In answer to the question 'can I do it all on the web?'our answer is a categoric 'No'. The Internet is a very useful research tool , nothing more....."  AND
".....The FRC is the first place aspiring family Historians should visit..."

I couldnt agree more.

Enjoy!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Just realised that, if your rellies are mainly Scotland, these places might not be so good as they are only England and Wales!! Dont know about SofG, though.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I totally agree that everything can't be done on the internet. As a beginner with relatives mainly based in Scotland have just used the best resource available to push things back i.e. Scotlandspeople (though this highly addictive and expensive due to this!). Now that I have a great collection of names and info about them from the census I'm at the stage to concentrate on non web based resources to flesh things out a bit.
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
Someone else asked similar questions a few days ago - see here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163034.0.html

May I recommend that you have a go at searching the catalogue first, even before you get there.  It might save you some time in the long run.

Everyone is always very helpful, especially to newbies.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell. Hadn't read that post (maybe should have done a search and found it before posting!).

Initially I just want to look at entries in the parish registers that I know I there to check whether they contain the basic information that I already have from doing the searches or if any other bits of information are contained within them. Just had a quick look at the catalogue and no material in the library for quite a few of them so will be able to plan my day differently.

Gordon

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
Good luck Gordon and let us know how you get on  :)
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wheeldon. Will let you know how I get on.
Not expecting to find out a huge amount tomorrow- just ascertain whether the entry in the parish register has the bare minimum or if the person keeping the register elaborated a bit (if only!).
Getting excited about it now!

Gordon

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 June 06 19:02 BST (UK) »
Just back from the SoG library. Only ventured to the lower library this time to look at the Scottish OPRs that was interested in. Used the online catalogue to get the shelf numbers  of the microfilms before I went so managed to look up a good chunk of my list. As I thought a lot of the entries didn't elaborate much on the information I'd got from the databases. Also got the entry number in the register for my grandpa's birth from the Scottish birth index so that will help when go up to Edinburgh in the next couple of months.
Have learned whether it was a DOB or a baptism date in almost all the cases now. The staff were very helpful and one of the volunteers in the lower library had been a couple of years above me at uni!

Gordon