Author Topic: Is this a lost cause?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a lost cause?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 June 06 23:36 BST (UK) »
Liz:
This looks promising:
CONN Y-DNA PROJECT WEBSITE - Family Project WebsiteJAMES CONN b~1830 of County Armagh, Ireland (Kit #17609): Tested at 37 markers, currently has no matches within the CONN project. ...
www.familytreedna.com/public/conn/ - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
Unfortunately, when I clicked on it, I could get no details. Perhaps you can contact the site directly.
Try a google search with armagh and you will get lots of hits.

Good luck.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Lizrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 06 08:09 BST (UK) »
Pat thank you i will see where this leads to. 
I am so grateful to all the wonderful folk on this site
 who have helped me.   Pat will let you know if anything
comes of it.
Liz
Cairns, Daisley, Sharp, Glegg,Sneddon,Conn
Lilly, Howie/ Howe, O'Donnel. Doherty Harkin.Kelly,Granny,Hotchkiss

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 July 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, It's a parish record S.P will send you as it's pre 1855, so it probably won't  give parent info or place of birth--(fingers crossed, but I doubt it).  I would try for deaths of Margaret LillIE and James Conn, to get their parents names.  Then you would be working with an extra couple of surnames which might help narrow down the area(s) they came from.

There is a death on S.P for a Margaret Lillie/Conn died 1900 aged 60 in Lanarkshire.  If its yours , it would tell you if she was still married or a widow(at time of death) so then you could search for a death for James Conn either between 1881 and 1900 OR 1900 to say abt 1930ish.   Take note on any of their childrens marriage certs whether they were alive or dead at time of marriage, and this can maybe help reduce search years for parents deaths.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Lizrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 July 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, It's a parish record S.P will send you as it's pre 1855, so it probably won't  give parent info or place of birth--(fingers crossed, but I doubt it).  I would try for deaths of Margaret LillIE and James Conn, to get their parents names.  Then you would be working with an extra couple of surnames which might help narrow down the area(s) they came from.

There is a death on S.P for a Margaret Lillie/Conn died 1900 aged 60 in Lanarkshire.  If its yours , it would tell you if she was still married or a widow(at time of death) so then you could search for a death for James Conn either between 1881 and 1900 OR 1900 to say abt 1930ish.   Take note on any of their childrens marriage certs whether they were alive or dead at time of marriage, and this can maybe help reduce search years for parents deaths.

I think you are right. James Conn was still alive in 1883 when Elizabeth Married so i will try for death certificate thank you
so much. I am following up the kids as i have been told maybe the 6 girls i put on are not My James and Margarets family.AS there was not Maiden name for The Mum on the list i wrongly thought it was them.   Same pottery work same name but i think there were a whole family of Conns all living there in Govan. So  this is another thing i have to work out. Was sent another set of names.  thanks.  Liz

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
i found this, don't know if it is any help to you.mary conn married george doherty. derry 1869.

good luck mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Lizrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary i found my James Conn with most of the work done by another member of this site. This is my Mothers side of the family
James Conn married Margaret Lilly or Lillie or Lilley depending on who wrote the document.The census was mine but they also had 2 sons i never knew about. The ages where a little out on the census but i did have the right family.
The Member also found this
James Conn death certificate
Here is James Conn's death certificate:

17 Nov 1884 at 133 Main St. Govan.
James Conn, Iron Forger aged 61.  Married 1) Sarah Laird 2) Margaret Lilley.  Parents: Michael Conn, Brickfield Labourer and Mary Conn, maiden surname Stewart, both deceased.
Cause of death: Pneumonia about 4 days.

Wonder now is its Derry they came from
So thanks to you and everyone who helped. Liz

Doherty is My Maiden name