Author Topic: quick question  (Read 2039 times)

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
quick question
« on: Friday 23 June 06 12:19 BST (UK) »
hi when the gpo can not find the birth cert you want even though you have the vol and pg no.
do they normaly send you a email saying this.
i have just had four of my seven pounds credited to my account from the gpo.
but no email to say why.
just wondered
dwalin
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: quick question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 06 12:27 BST (UK) »
No they don't and don't give a reason either - just pocket the £3.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline animet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
They used to be so good. They once phoned me to tell me that they couldn't find what I was looking for and asked me to check the details I had. Now it's just a production line for them.

Anita
Metcalfe - Yorks, Edge - Shrops, Walster - Notts Cookson - Lancs

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
thanks its so annoying as i dont know why its wrong
all the sorces i used were the right ones.
i will have to go back to the drawing board lol. >:(
thanks again

harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline animet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 21:35 BST (UK) »

Did you give the parents names? I ordered a birth cert once thinking I knew who the father was, I gave all of the correct references, but because I gave the wrong name for the father, they didn't issue the cert.

I later found out my mistake and when I re-ordered it, left off the parent information - which I do now with any birth cert I order.

Anita

Metcalfe - Yorks, Edge - Shrops, Walster - Notts Cookson - Lancs

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 June 06 10:01 BST (UK) »
ummm good point yes i did have both on,
as i have the dads name on her wedding cert
and i thought i knew the mams name
maybe he remarried and its a different mam.
wow now thats a thought
maybe i should ree order without the mams name on.
thank  you. ;D ;D
lloyd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 June 06 10:13 BST (UK) »
I only ever give the minimum information after an experience I had with them a few years ago -before online ordering.
I had been trying to get my grt grandfather's birth certificate and hisparent's marriage cert. My Henry had been born circa 1856 with parents Robert and Ann according to the 1871. I duly ordered the certificate that matched and gave these details. I as then informed that the info didn't match the details I'd given. Start looking again!! I spent weeks but could find nothing, neither could I find a marriage record on freeBMD that matched the two names at a time before Henry's birth. Eventually I found his brother's reference and sent for this, without mentioning parents. When it came, the mother's name was different - a Margaret Ellis. Hmmm. Right, order the first cert again with minimum info. Yes, Henry's mother was Margaret Ellis. Couldn't find a death cert. I thought there was something strange going on, including bigamy.

I eventually unravelled the story, part of which is given on 'the saddest death in your tree thread'.

If I'd left it after the first order, I'd still be looking.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 June 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
I received my cheque back from Manchester Registry Office yesterday together with a letter suggesting I try Southport, even though like you, I gave the vol, page number and quarter.  It's seems odd to me that they couldn't find the Birth Cert with those details.
However, I usually find the local Registry offices extremely helpful.

I'm wary of sending the same details to Southport, as Manchester said, that even if they didn't find the Certificate, they would probably keep the remittance for looking.

I always try the local office first, up until this particular certificate (both husband and wife proving to be extremely elusive from birth) they have supplied me with copies of Certificates, phoned me for further information, or returned cheques if they can't find said certificate.

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 June 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
thanks all.i wont give up and i think you might be right about the local offices as im feeling a bit cheated not having a reason.
i will try without the mams name and see how i go.thank you all again
lloyd