Author Topic: quick question  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Glenpenny

• RootsChat Senior
  • G.g.g.grandad Catlow 1811-1894
    • View Profile
Re: quick question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 June 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I ordered a marriage certificate for a Henry Jackson marriage in Blackburn and specified that his father's name should be Henry and his wife's surname Kelly.  They sent me one with the wife's name as Caley.  I discarded this thinking it was incorrect and cursed inwardly at having wasted £7.00.  Two years later I realised that it was the right one after all!  Written family recollections of g.grandma's maiden name Kelly were all wrong.  So I give the Southport office full marks.

Clifton - Kirkham, Garstang, Lancs
Benson - Greenhalgh, Lancs
Hankinson - Freckleton, Lancs
Roobottom - Barnsley, W.Yorks
Drelincourt - Ireland
McLintock - Barnsley, w.Yorks
Catlow - Colne, Newchurch-in-Pendle, Lancs
Bowker - Newchurch-in-Pendle, Lancs
Bambridge - Stebbing, Essex
Lagden - Thaxted, Stebbing, Essex
Perry - Stebbing, Essex
Wileber - Farcet, Huntingdon
Census Information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: quick question
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 June 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Su,
Local Register Offices don't use the Vol, Page Number and quarters the same, although the year and quarter would certainly help them, but the Vol and Pages are what the GRO use as identifiers for their own indexes, which is why CheshireBMD, LancashireBMD and the others often only have the year identified but also the church where applicable.

If the GRO don't find your certificate because of the qualifiers you put on it, they dont keep the whole of your £7, but they do keep half as a search fee, you will get part returned.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)