Author Topic: James BADRICK/BARTRICK of Chipperfield  (Read 1384 times)

Offline stevechelt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James BADRICK/BARTRICK of Chipperfield
« on: Friday 23 June 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
I have just obtained a copy birth certificate for my G.grandfather and it appears he was illegitimate, having no details of the father. Being relatively new to tracing my ancestry I would like to know if there is any chance of finding out any more about his birth, such as would the mother and child appear in the 'Hertfordshire Examinations' list as published by the Herts Family History Society?

The details are -

Mother: Mary Ann Badrick (actually Bartrick as recorded previously and later in the census and on the boy's later marriage cert.)
Of: Chipperfield
Boy's name: James
Born: 16th March 1866 in Chipperfield and registered 23 April 1866 in Hemel Hempstead.

Mary Ann was the daughter of James and Maria Bartrick also of Chipperfiled. Later, on his marriage cert, he gave his father's name as also James from Chipperfield, but it looks like he substituted his grandfather here.

Maybe this is a dead end for me but maybe more can be found out!

Many thanks for any advice,
Steve

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: James BADRICK/BARTRICK of Chipperfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

The "Examinations" list that you refer to is actually for Settlement Examinations, which record examinations of the poor as to their place of settlement. 

They are probably not going to be of much use to you unless Mary Ann requested settlement elsewhere.

HALS may well hold bastardy records though.  See my HALS post.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24217.0.html

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevechelt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James BADRICK/BARTRICK of Chipperfield
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 06 18:36 BST (UK) »
In fact, I've just noticed that Mary Ann had James in Chipperfield in 1866 but in the 1871 census she is shown lodging (along with her son) at a relative's in Sarratt so it looks like she did move to another parish, so maybe she did request settlement outsde Chipperfield.

Thanks Rick, I will also look at the post you mentioned.

Steve