Author Topic: William Chalmers/ Stoneykirk  (Read 6225 times)

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Chalmers/ Stoneykirk
« on: Friday 23 June 06 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I hope someone can help as I have tried to find the birth date of my ggg-grandfather William Chalmers born 1809 Stoneykirk, he died 18th July 1899 Clashwhannon aged 91, his parents are listed as Andrew Chalmers (dec) Mason  and Jane Gilmour (dec).
here's hoping!
beannie
Milwain, McTaldroch, McCulloch, McMillan, McCracken, Muir/Moore, Hill, Little,
McGaw, Kirkmaiden/Stoneykirk
Carmont Isle of Man/Liverpool/ Manchester
Hines, Mulvey Ireland/Manchester

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Chalmers/ Stoneykirk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Beannie, I've been having a good look round and I see your problem!
Is this William(age 40) on the 1851 census in Port Logan with wife Sarah(42), sons William (14), John (12), Robert(7) & unbaptised (1 month) all born Kirkmaiden apart from William the elder?
Looking on the IGI it looks to me as if Sarah s maiden name was Hill in which case she is listed for her christening in 1809 and makes the age from the 1851 census correct - maybe William was born 1811 ishbut still no luck!
Have you tried the following?
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~leighann/index.html
when I did a search for the site there were quite a few chalmers listed and two people were offering lookups for Kirkmaiden on the 1841 census .
I only wish I still lived in Stoneykirk , then I'd trot up to Kirkmaiden church and see if I could find anything out for you -but I have checked my stoneykirk memorial inscriptions and there are no Chalmers listed & only one Gilmour !
I'll keep looking and let you know if I come up with anything (she says rather doubtfully!)
Good luck & I'll keep checking back to see if anyone else has any bright ideas....
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Chalmers/ Stoneykirk
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 06 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose,
thanks for looking, I have the 1841 census  and MI books for both Kirkmaiden and Stoneykirk, I was up there last year and had a good look around both places
there is no sign of either Andrew or Jane, I checked the OPR and there is nothing for them, I don't think I will find anything but will keep trying, I have a photo of the gravestone, William is buried with Sarah Hill his wife with her grandmother Sara McCulloch in Kirkmaiden. I have traced my familt tree back to the early 1720's so far, they were from Stoneykirk and ended up at Port Nessock now Portlogan, next time I go up I will make sure I visit there.
Thank you again
Jeanne
Milwain, McTaldroch, McCulloch, McMillan, McCracken, Muir/Moore, Hill, Little,
McGaw, Kirkmaiden/Stoneykirk
Carmont Isle of Man/Liverpool/ Manchester
Hines, Mulvey Ireland/Manchester