Author Topic: Can anyone read this please?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can anyone read this please?
« on: Friday 23 June 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
From 1851 census Manchester HO107/2227/Fo 144/sched 167

What is the place of birth for Elizabeth Morton. The 1841 census appears to say she was born in Scotland or Foreign Parts, but does this look like Westmoreland?
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
I've just downloaded the image and altered the levels. It's Dumfries and Galloway as far as I can make out. The Galloway flows over into the last column.

If so, welcome to the gang :) :) :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gadget but I can't really make out Dumfries and Galloway(though not as experienced as you especially in that geographical region). I think that Westmoreland makes better sense and all my untrained eye can make out. Sorry can't make out a parish.

It is an English census so if in England had to say Scotland and if inclined then add a county. I've always though that Dumfries and Galloway (Wigtownshire and Kirkcudbrightshrie) only came together as a single entity in the 1970s reorganisation that created the regions (ie Strathclyde, Borders Central, Grampian, Lothian, etc) so confused as to why it would appear as a single entity
120 years before.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
Gordon

I have many Ancestors on England and Wales censuses where the entry says 'Dumfries' or some such. If you read the posting, the 1841 says Scotland.

I went to the image on Ancestry, downloaded it and put it through my Photoshop software. I adjusted the levels. Dumfries comes up rather poorly but it is definitely 'and Galloway' isthere a place something like this anywhere else Solway is about the nearest?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
My two cents... ;D

I compared the W in "Wigan" from further down the page, and I think the place name is definitely Westmoreland.  Top W is from the mystery word, bottom W is from Wigan.

I can't make out the last word though, but wonder whether it starts with a small 'f' - I need to scour the rest of the page for similar letters.

Prue

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry gadget. Thought you would have done more than me! I just expanded the image in the post in paint and thought that although the "and" looked separate could make out a possible "L" (well a vertical line) before it. My only concern was that I thought that Dumfries and Galloway as a single entity was a modern concept but as I tried to enfer in my last post I know that you have more experience in the Dumfries area than me from your posts on here. Got a few links to Dumfries in my tree but not looked into them hugely. You've done more than me to enhance the image so I'll extend a welcome to skb to the Dumfries gang too!

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
Having looked a bit more, I think the placename after Westmoreland has two words.  The last word seems to be "Leys".  Still not sure on the first one though  ???

Guys, I'm sorry, but it's definitely not Dumfries and Galloway  :-\

Prue

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 06 23:25 BST (UK) »
I wish skb would give the ref for 1841 - I've just been looking and can't come up with anyone 'born Scotland or foreign parts'.  It reads ..and Galloway to me if you extend it into the final column.
Are there any places around the Solway Firth that might be something like that. There is a Kirkton or Keldon if I recall but no 'ways'.
I'm not going to look at maps now -done too much looking today.
Do we have details of a marriage/husband that might help locate the place  ???

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 06 23:30 BST (UK) »
Quick look at old map that was handy - Kirkby, Cartmel, Kendal are all that Ican see but none fit. Anyone found her in 1841. So we can go looking for a marriage/maiden name.

Can't see anywhere that vaguely resembles the place  :-\