Author Topic: 19th century weddings  (Read 3446 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
19th century weddings
« on: Saturday 24 June 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
I'm struck by the fact that families who were desparately poor and couldn't have had any savings, had church weddings, often in magnificent churches.  Am I right to assume that weddings cost a lot less in the 19th century?  I can't remember seeing any accounts or pictures of working class weddings in this period.  While I accept that families probably went into debt for a marriage, I'd love to know what went on.  Anyone with knowledge?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century weddings
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
From reading a lot of 19th century fiction - Thomas Hardy etc it seems for a start they would wear their sunday best which suggests maybe they didn't buy something new and certainly not at the vast costs that get spent on dresses etc nowadays.

I imagine too they would probably do their own reception, as they did in Under the Greenwood Tree, doing all the food themselves.

I guess it is a very modern concept to splash out ridiculous amounts of money on one day in the hope it might lead a life of bliss!!!??

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 June 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know what happened in England. In Scotland church weddings in the sense that we know them  were not the norm at this time. This been posted somewhere before on here (I'm about to head out so no time to search for the thread!)  and from certificates in my family it was the case for them. The ceremonies would still be conducted by the minister but after the banns being read out in church they often took place at the bride's home or at the manse (the minister's house). Obviously the law is different in Scotland and I don't think that this could be the case in England.

Certainly would have kept the costs down for my ancestors.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 June 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
When I said this has been posted before I mean my explanation about Scotland not a topic about 19th century weddings!
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 06 09:29 BST (UK) »

I knew I'd seen something somewhere  ???  Have a look at this from Channel 4 History
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/t-z/wedding.html

I have to say though it's a bit 'Through rose tinted glasses'.  I would imagine most of my Ag Labs just nipped off to the church when the baby began to show had a piece of cake and a beer and went back to work!

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether you have noticed but many weddings ( if not too obviously shotgun) and christenings took place at Christmas. If you think about it, no paid holidays, the one time of the years the poor families might be able to put on a bit of a spread, the family having at least one day off work, what better time to get married or have the children christened.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 06 09:54 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether you have noticed but many weddings ( if not too obviously shotgun) and christenings took place at Christmas. If you think about it, no paid holidays, the one time of the years the poor families might be able to put on a bit of a spread, the family having at least one day off work, what better time to get married or have the children christened.

Both my husband and I have ancestors who married on Christmas Day!

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 06 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, interesting but a mite romanticized, I think.  What about the urban poor?  I suspect, as people have said, that they married on an existing holiday where possible and didn't wear special outfits.  When did the wedding reception become the norm?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 June 06 12:23 BST (UK) »
About the time hotels etc realised they could make a mint out of them I should think!! 

Seriously though I know that many weddings and christenings happened on days which were already holidays so that people didn't have to take time off work.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....