Author Topic: Careers could be genetic  (Read 1418 times)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
Careers could be genetic
« on: Sunday 25 June 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello

I saw this article in the Times yesterday and thought rootschatters might find this interesting!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,175-2240918,00.html

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Careers could be genetic
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 06 12:00 BST (UK) »
Well it does mention one of my old mates as a researcher (as sceptical -and he's good  ;) ).   If it were so, I'd be a coal miner, domestic servant, nurse or worse - a lady of the night  :o

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
And I'd be married with 17 kids!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

I think not!!!! ::) ::)

Kerry  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 06 12:13 BST (UK) »
An old colleague of mine has spent most of his career researching this topic  It really is to do with a whole range of factors - educational opportunity, industrial structure, inheritance of property - business, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
Yes in all seriousness, most of my family came from Sussex, where there has been pockets of industry such as weaving in 15th century and ironworking in various centuries.

Apart from that not much industry - no coal, etc so most poor families were into farming either, if they were rich enough had their own farms, or if poor worked on the land in a variety of ways.  Therefore 99% of my family were ag labs or farmers.

My guess is that dad would go out each day and do whatever his job was, winter - coppicing, or hedgelaying, cleaning ditches etc and in summer, the planting, weeding and ploughing etc.  As sons grew up they would go out and help dad and therefore learn skills and therefore take his place.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
They spent 15 years and millions of quid to discover that being a monk tends not to be hereditary. :)
 I discovered a couple of weeks ago that GGGdad died in 1867when he fell from a haystack he was building and "landed on his wimble." (Old family saying- a wimble was actually a thatching tool .)
At the time I discovered this, I was baling hay in the meadows by the river Avon, so  it certainly concentrated my mind on being more careful with the machinery just in case history repeats itself. (He was actually 12 miles up the river from here at the time)
Funnily enough about the same time I discovered ggggdad's name was J Case- the same as my tractor. I've been looking for him for ages and he was right in front of me all along-" A product of J.I.Case " on a big sign just 18inchesfrom my nose on the cab- I thought of levering off the label and sticking it on my forehead!
Funny old world, isn't it?

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
I think the conclusion must be that very few careers are actually  genetic" in the sense of people being genetically predisposed to a particular job.  If you're musical or artistic, say, that might follow.  But even there you're going to be encouraged by your parents.  For most people who follow the same careers as their parents, it's to do with what work is available and what's thought acceptable in your family.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 June 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
I think it is possibler as I am an Urban planner by trade.  I met a relative, we branch off about 6 generations ago, who is also an Urban planner.  My brother is an urban planner also.  Strange coincidence if you ask me.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive