Author Topic: Spooky experiences while researching Part 2  (Read 4102 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky experiences while researching Part 2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 June 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Well I did say i wasn't the best artist in the world lol plus the picture was drawn early morning (about 4am!)

Normally I cannot draw so was very surprised that the picture came out as well as it did. My 3 year old Grandson usually draws better than me lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 June 06 21:41 BST (UK) »
Wow Carol  :o

I have to say initially I picked the same bloke as Gadget did at first...didn't even notice the fellow on the end  :o

As you say, the collar style is an important detail.  Normally these days when we think of collars we think of the pointy ones, so the rounded collar is not something you'd think to draw unless you had seen it.  At least that's what I think anyway!  :D

As to the likeness in the face...well, I'm a pretty good drawer, but the one thing I cannot do to save my life is to draw faces  :'( :'( :'(  As a result, I have sketchbooks full of headless (or faceless) bodies  ;D  So I understand that the face is perhaps not an accurate representation of what you saw in your mind's eye. 

The important things are that you drew the collar accurately, and that you recognised the man when you saw the picture for the first time  :)

Prue

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
That's dead weird that none of us noticed him first time  ::) Was he trying to hide or was the one with the ears so dominat an image?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
See !

He is hiding from everyone - how many secrets does this man have?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
What's his story Carol? Or is it all on the other thread. I remember you had a dream and drew him and then got the photo.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline subee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:32 BST (UK) »
 have to say initially I picked the same bloke as Gadget did at first...didn't even notice the fellow on the end 

I thought so too - It may just be me, but I get the feeling theres a lot this guy is hiding from everyone else in the photo!

Subee 
Futter Norfolk
Hendry Norfolk
Marshall Norfolk
Riches Norfolk
Dighton Huntingdon

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:53 BST (UK) »
I'm really sorry but you lovely ladies have totally lost me,
I didn't read the original so can you tell me what it is
that you are trying to say.

Tomkin ;D ;D ;D

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 June 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
Right here is what we have for Edward John Owen born July 1883 Holyhead to Ellen Owen and father supposedly John Roberts (according to marriage cert of Edward )

He had a sister Ellen, sister Harriet and brother Thomas before his mother married ? Evans and had a further 2 children - David and Elizabeth.

Edward married Mary Jones in November 1905 in Holyhead and they had 3 sons. Edward born 1906 and Richard born 1908 (Grandad). We have no idea of when William was born as his death and marriage cert do not add up at all. His Grandaughter has found a birth cert for Willie and is in the process of sending for that as the parents match according to the registrar but we will wait until it arrives to jump for joy.

My Grandad went to live with his Auntie Harriet when he was little and my Mum remembers visiting her when she was very young. She thought he went to Harriet because his Mum had died but what happened to Edward and William then? My Grandad is the young boy stood at the far left hand side in the back row

Edward then went on to marry Kate Elizabeth Evans though I cannot find a marriage entry for them at all.  They had 10 children, all born in Holyhead and the youngest was born in 1931 (youngest three still living) They know nothing of their half brother William such as when he was born.

Edward and Kate are both buried together in Holyhead Cemetery and I have searched (believe me I have walked and walked in that place!) and cannot find a grave for Mary in either Jones, Owen or Owens. She isn't buried in the smaller cemetery at St Seiriols either.

The photo was given to me by the grandaughter of his sister Harriet (2nd from right on front row) and she knows nothing of Edward either and she was around when he was alive (he died in 1964) She named Thomas and David and Harriet and Grandad Evans (as she called him) She even named the bride and Thomas' wife but never went near the man who I feel is Edward or the little woman next to him who I think may be Kate Elizabeth.

Oh to be able to get someone to be able to tell me all kinds from the picture or photo. It would be nice to find out what happened to Mary and where William fits in and a few other questions.

So that is the story we have of him but there are so many questions that may never be answered. I have managed to get back to his Grandparents through the census but they were just poor really. No special write ups about them anywhere.

Carol

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 June 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
                thanks for that.   I often regret not listening and writing
everything down when I was a child. especially not asking for clarification
when nicknames and alternatives were used.  Of course adults often
clammed up when children walked in.
Good luck in your research,
Tomkin