Author Topic: My missing Romany Boswell's  (Read 11593 times)

Offline colleena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My missing Romany Boswell's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb :-*

Maria Boswell ( married Christopher Penfold) in 1909, she was the sister to Abraham Boswell my great grand Father,
I came across a reference to a civil court case which was reported in the paper "The Cornishman" dated Sept 1907 where a Abraham Boswell had given evidence on behalf of his sister Maria/Griffiths/ Boswell, who's was taken to court by a man called Slack, with whom she had been living with for 15 years.
That's all I know at this stage, I made inquiries and without an actual date, it means hiring a researcher, so maybe a packed lunch and a trip to the UK maybe the go, all interesting stuff this,

Also have no idea where the Griffiths comes in, maybe an alias, maria/Mariah used?

Regards Colleen ???
Bouncing Emails

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colleena   ;D

Do you mind if I quote you on another board ... it's for my "Cornish Mystery"...

My William Penfold (brother of Christopher penfold who married Mariah Boswell) married Mary Palmer(nee SLACK/SMITH) , her father was called George SLACK. In 1851 the whole family went by that name and george was a coach builder ...by 1861 George had changed the family name to Smith and he was a hawker.

It's strange that Maria Penfold(nee Boswell)  was seeing(?) a Slack as it is such a unique name .  i just have a feeling that this may all connect somehow.  Clutching at straws here  ;D  :-\

regards deb

ps ...nice to 'speak' to you again :)

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colleena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb :D
By all means add to your Cornish Mystery, as you never know where it will lead, and to whom,
Have just had a quick look at the 1891 census there's a John & Mary Slack licenced Hawkers, Falmouth, any relation to your Slacks, havent had a chance to check marriage reg,
(just a thought maybe Mary may turn out to be Maria) will check later  :)

Regards Colleen.   
Bouncing Emails

Offline coopers pup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 February 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
re boswellsfind "ancestors of alfred cooper" in roots check and in the miscellanious section you will find a long report of the funeral of Levi "Bo"Boswell from the London City Mission Magazine
These always seemed to work the fields with us at fruit and hop picking times
There is a Bo Boswell buried in Farnborough Kent said on his headstone to be"King of the Gipsies"

Hi coopers pup
Thanks for information,  I  don't know if that Boswell is connected to my family tree, but you never know, I'll certainly check it out, once again thanks.
Colleena :)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 January 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this thread?  Some BOSWELLS ended up in America.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,278162.0.html
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk