Poll

How far back can we take our matrilineal line?

1-2 generations
1 (2.8%)
3-4 generations
3 (8.3%)
5-6 generations
26 (72.2%)
7-8 generations
3 (8.3%)
9+ generations
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Matrilineal line  (Read 7391 times)

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Matrilineal line
« on: Monday 26 June 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
I was rereading an article called Daughters of Eve in the June issue of Practical Family History. In it the author talks about tracing back through the mother each time. He states in the line that while many people concentrate on the male line it is the female line, without meaning to be disrespectful to our female ancestors, that we can be 100% sure about as over lots of generations a "non-paternity event" may have taken place.

The Queen's matrilineal line goes back 5 generations whereas Queen Victoria's could be traced back 28 generations. Prince Philip is linked to Queen Victoria through a maternal line so his is 30 generations.

The author says during writing the article that he posted a topic on how far back the matrilineal line in an internet genealogy list (don't think it was on RootsChat as couldn't find a topic on it). The highest he got was 9 generations.

I think a lot of us on here are more interested in learning more about what the lives of our ancestors than simply collecting earlier and earlier names but I was wondering how far back we have got on this line. Are we as far back as the Queen or can anybody go back further?

The author of the article went back five generations. If I use my gran as starting point (born the year before the Queen to even out the generations) I can definitely go back 5 generations(from my gran's mother : Agnes Tulloch Cowan Tripney, Mary Ann Barclay Campbell, Agnes Tulloch Cowan, Susan Gibb, Agnes Tulloch) and I have got a marriage date for Agnes Tulloch's mum Susan Alexander(although this is the only piece of info got on her).

Gordon

PS My family on this side seem to have taken the Scottish naming pattern to a new level with the eldest daughter being given the full name of her mum's mum as her forenames. My mum was glad that her parents went for the forenames Agnes Tripney rather than the full Agnes Tulloch Cowan Tripney!
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
Re: Matrilineal line
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 06 20:36 BST (UK) »
This is how my Paternal Grandfather researched
family history over twenty years ago for the same
reasons. :o

So I actually knew of my connection to the surname
Hargreaves before I found it.

from himself Jackson, Eddleston, Hargreaves

Do not know how many generations I can go back
on maternal each time I will check.

I do not JUST concentrate on the Paternal, I have
better results on my Maternal Line.

My Mother was originally a Pye, her mother was
originally a Singleton, her mother was originally
a Fletcher, her mother was originally an Eccles.
but I do that for every line.

So every generation I get more, and more
surnames to look for.

Jinks

Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 06 20:52 BST (UK) »

This post made me check my own, from my Great Grandmother I can go back a further 3 and I am back in North Wales.

I research all lines, some faster than others. I can not understand when people concentrate on just one line ? perhaps I am just so interested to know what they were doing and how they were ;D

Gordon perhaps you should start a poll then you can find out how we are all doing on our maternal line.

Sarah ;D
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to do all my lines as well. Due to my research mainly being in Scotland found the all the maternal lines easier to verify as they were often known by their maiden names on census returns and the fact can search death certificates by both maiden and married name.

I think the author's surprise was that he could get to the same point as someone as someone who we think of having well document origins i.e the Queen. Some of my generations more closely spaced so my earliest is prob around 20-30 years later than the Queen in terms of birth (Queen's on this line 1744 birth from her marriage I would estimate mine to be 1760-1770 although not verified).

How do you start a poll on a thread?

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Beggars can't be choosers, so I'm happy to learn anything about any of my lines. But I DO have a fascination with matrilineal descent.  And wasn't it through mitochondrial DNA that it was finally proven that Anna Anderson wasn't Princess Anastasia, after all? For me, though, it's been confounding - can't find a marriage certificate, not sure if the families on the censuses really ARE my family, the surname has too many variations, etc. etc. And this is only for my ggg-grandmother, Sarah (nee ???) HULME born somewhere around Wilmslow or Knutsford, Cheshire, circa 1809. Well, I'll keep happily digging.
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 06 22:41 BST (UK) »

How do you start a poll on a thread?

On your first post of this thread, you will find a button at the top right "Poll +".

You can add a poll by clicking on this button. 

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 00:06 BST (UK) »
I've always been a great matrilineal fan.

Unfortunately, I get my mother,then Parry, Jones, Jones and then they seem to disappear into the Berwyns , probably into the merched/ferched - takes me back to the  1780s though :(

However, I've done all the other matrilineals as well - my father's mother's line is Mates, Jones, Lee, Jones. Then full stop again somewhere in the Berwyns.

Try the other's -  grandfather's line - granddad, Wilson, Burgess,Carson, McCrea or Porter. I have to follow up these two then, just to check. This a bit different, Western Kircudbright or Wigtown  ;)

etc., etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 01:18 BST (UK) »

I found this to help you work it out !! ..... !!

http://www.umanitoba.ca/anthropology/tutor/descent/unilineal/matri01.html

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
I research all lines.  But thinking about my mother's mother's family, we have got that back to about 1189!  Well, it is a cousin who has been doing that particular part of the family, and she has had the good luck to find someone who had extensively researched part of that line.  It includes a couple of convicts here in Australia, and goes back to people who came over with the Normans!!!!

So I've voted for 9+.  I don't think it matters which line you are doing, it is where you get lucky!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland