Poll

How far back can we take our matrilineal line?

1-2 generations
1 (2.8%)
3-4 generations
3 (8.3%)
5-6 generations
26 (72.2%)
7-8 generations
3 (8.3%)
9+ generations
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Matrilineal line  (Read 7388 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matrilineal line
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Gosh Marie - I thought I was going well getting my mother's maternal line back to c. 1770 in Edinburgh - My gggg gmother's name is Janet Ross. I have her marriage but very difficult to get her parents.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 04:46 BST (UK) »
Trish,

It's probably a function of families living in a small village in Staffordshire and perhaps good parish records - though I am not sure how the researchers got back that far!  Not nearly as hard as a bigger place like Edinburgh, or, God help us, London, where I am stuck on a couple of my lines at the end of the eighteenth century, with no real chance of going further back unless a distant rellie with info miraculously emerges!!!  Why couldn't they have lived in the country??????? ??? :'(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 07:54 BST (UK) »
I hope you checked it all Marie. Never take anything second hand.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 07:58 BST (UK) »
If I take it from my grandmother, I have a further 3 generations.  When we were children my gran taught us a rhyme which was the names of her matrilineal line. 

Terry, Payne, Faulkner, Fowler - I think the next name was Sales or Sayers, hopefully I will find out soon!!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
I hope you checked it all Marie. Never take anything second hand.

Gadget

These are two experienced and careful researchers, Gadget, who have spent years checking and double checking.  I have no reason to doubt their findings, or reinvent their wheels, and I have other lines of research to follow.  At some point, in all activities of life, you and I and everyone else make decisions to trust others, or not.  Otherwise we would all be hopelessly bogged down in our various activities.

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
I'd still check though and expect anyone to check my findings.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 June 06 03:24 BST (UK) »
Gadget

I work co-operatively with a few cousins, whose methods I trust, on a large volume of family history research.  We do not have time, nor access to each others' sources, to check all of each others' findings, though of course we ask questions from time to time to establish the validity of what others have found in our own minds, to check how they have reached certain conclusions.

As others on Rootschat have pointed out, family history is an inexact science.  No matter how scrupulous we are, at some level we need to trust the information that comes to us, or not, even on matters such as paternity.  We cannot prove it absolutely.  You will have done this.  I have certainly done it.  We all have. 

You do not know me or my co-researchers.  I do not know you or the methods you use, so certainly would not presume to give you unsought advice on your findings.

MarieC

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 June 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
I research all sides (I can't stop; I get a name and I want to know more), and have found out that with one gg grandmother I can't check the paternal side, even if I wanted to. I believe her mother (my ggggrandmother) was a little on the racy side  :o. We have no father for her and I don't have any candidates.  I have recently discovered my 5th great grandmother, but people don't believe me: Dorcas Ann Mickelwright. Is it disrespectful to name a pet after a relative? I'm thinking my next cat, but my kids say no.  :P

Kathleen Stahl
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 June 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
I'd still check though and expect anyone to check my findings.

Gadget
I agree with this, I have been given information from some really helpful people who have done lots of research but we are only human and can all make mistakes. 

I double check every bit of information given to me, whilst I trust the people who give me the information, I may have access to resources they don't that might shed a different light on things.  This hobby is reciprical and I may be able to send some information back to them.

I have had emails from people pointing out a couple of my mistakes too, usually because I make assumptions without investigating every possibility.

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....