Author Topic: James Reid, Dundee 1891-1901  (Read 3929 times)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James Reid, Dundee 1891-1901
« on: Monday 26 June 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Can anybody help an Englishman ?

I am trying to find some information about a James Reid and his family from Dundee. In 1896 I think they might have lived at 136 Ferry Road, Dundee. I also understand that James had a job in the police force.

Is it possible for someone to search the 1891 and 1901 Dundee censuses for me to find details for that address and/or to find anyone called James Reid in Dundee with an occupation connected to the police service at that time ?

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Reid, Dundee 1891-1901
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 06 17:55 BST (UK) »
Could you give  some indication of his age please?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget.

Thank you for writing.  I really do not know the answer but I would guess that in 1896 he was probably around 30 or maybe a little older.

DS

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 18:24 BST (UK) »
My problem at the moment is that there are quite a lot of James Reid's in the rather broad age range that you suggest on the 1901 living in Dundee.

I have found Ferry Road, on the East side near Monifieth.

It might be worth you contacting the Police Records section, which I know is on one of the threads - possibly Ross & Cromarty, April-ish.

Gadget

I might 'phone' a friend  :)

Added - this is the thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,140238.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 06 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget.

Thanks again for that link which I will certainly have a look at.

When I asked a similarly vague question a while ago about a particular address in Liverpool, someone who had a set of census discs was able to search by address and find the entry quite quickly. I believe that they could also search by occupations.

So when I began this thread I assumed that there would be similar census discs in Scotland from which a search by address and/or occupation could be made.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood the situation. I did not want anyone to undertake a laborious trawl through numerous records on my behalf.  I thought that it would be a quick search enquiry based on the address.

I will be grateful for any information that can be provided but please do not spend a great deal of time on it.

DS

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 06 19:20 BST (UK) »

DS

I'll have another look later, but this is just one example of how Scotland is different  ;) We have wonderful BMDs though  ;)

Gadget -living in Scotland,  mainly Welsh but with Scottish and English ancestors

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 06 23:48 BST (UK) »
DS

Please can you give me the names and approx. dates of birth of anyone living with him - wife, children, etc.

Gadget

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget.

I am sorry but I do not know any more about him than that he (almost certainly) lived at 136 Ferry Road, Dundee in or around 1895/1896 and that he might have been in the police force.

DS

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 09:50 BST (UK) »
I think I've got someone like him on the 1901 DS. Well the only James Reid in  Ferry Road anyway. Aged 39, born 'Edinburgh -shire' . A joiner though. With wife, Annie, and six children aged between 13 and 1.

Gadget