Author Topic: James Reid, Dundee 1891-1901  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Reid, Dundee 1891-1901
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 10:04 BST (UK) »
136 Ferry Road - indeed many of the houses in the high numbers - were tenement style (apartments/flats) , so there are a number of people living at each number. There is no James Reid living there.

However, in addition to the one listed above, there is a James Reid living at 140 Ferry Road. He is aged 50, a ? Foreman Riddler  , born Ireland. With him is wife, Elizabeth. No children.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget.

I am just writing again to give you an interim progress report.  I took your (PM) advice and contacted Tayside Police (by email).  I have to say that I am most impressed by the initial responses which I have received.  Within a short time of me writing I received an email back from their website coordinator which acknowledged receipt of my email and indicated that the questions which I asked had been forwarded on to their Museum Curator and Archivist.

A little later on the same day I received another email from the Museum Curator telling me that the Tayside Police Museum does hold fairly extensive records for former members of staff and that he would search the files for me on his next visit to the archives.

Hopefully, in due course, this will provide me with the information that I am looking for about James Reid.

However, even if it does not, I thought that it was appropriate to record, in public, the excellent service that I had received so far from the Tayside Police and also to thank you once again for your expert advice and guidance.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
I do hope they come up with something for you DS. It would be really good to find out.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello again Gadget.

I have now had another reply from Tayside Police Museum in which they indicate that there were several constables with the name James Reid in the Dundee City Police Force but that a James Reid who was born 23/05/1871 in Fife-shire is most likely to be the one that I was looking for. They do not have details of his address but they are going to send me a photograph of him in uniform.

He apparently joined the Force in July 1894 but was dismissed in May 1895 for failing to attend Roll Call.

I thought that you might like to know.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 15:58 BST (UK) »
That is good news, Ds. A photo as well  :)

Well done you.

Gadget :)