Author Topic: Mayday...as in HELP!  (Read 6056 times)

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday...as in HELP!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 June 06 18:44 BST (UK) »

Your William Nye appears on Ancestry World tree..most of the postings have Ballance Horned they all seem to quote taken from.....

" Genealogy of American Nyes of English Origin"

Various different e-mails I'd be cheeky and contact one or two.

Did this with on of hubbies rellies and I can now go back to @1770 and he has been brought upto date for the last 100 years.
    ??? Still don't know where it is though ???

Tazzie

Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 June 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Swampy,
  All I have been able to come up with is that there is, according to Pevsner, a Ballon`s farm very near to the church in Little Hormead. I believe Little Hormead church is now redundant so I dont know how you would go about finding a list of rectors but someone on RC may point you in the right direction.

Only a hunch that this is right but I cant come up with anything better at the moment.

Best wishes,  Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 June 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
Its me again swampy. There is a mention of a Rev. Stephen Nye in Little Hormead in the 18th century but I know thats way out of the period you are looking at.
 Will PM details if you want them.

Best wishes,  Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline Swampy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding Linda, Arranroots & Tazzie, I'm very grateful.

Tazzie - I will check the World Tree and take up your suggestion of mailing one or two people on the off chance they'll have more info. I have heard of the book you mentioned, which I believe is part of a three volume set, but I gather it's not easy to come by. I will look into it further, however.

Linda - I checked out the Old Maps website and found the farm you referred to near St. Mary the Virgin church at Little Hormead. It certainly warrants a closer look, and to that end I think I'll contact the Herts county archive to see if they have a list of encumbents. I did know about Stephen Nye being rector there from 1679 onwards, and he was from the same family, so it does look probable that the place called 'Ballance Horned' was in reality 'Little Hormead'. It never does to assume anything though, as we've all found out the hard way, or at least I have, so I will research it further before coming to a conclusion!

Thanks again for all your input, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Swampy
Plumb (London/Surrey/Kent)
Hatherill (London/Surrey)
Chittleburgh (London/East Anglia)
Rowden (Kent)
Jewiss (Kent)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the IGI entries and horror of horrors they are all member submitted!!!!

I suspect that someone, somewhere has gotten terribly mixed up with pronunciation or somesuch and have managed to invent a place in the process!!!

HALS does not hold any Parish Records for 'Ballance Horned' or anything similar so it was certainly not a Herts parish, though as linmey has pointed out, it could well have been an area within a parish.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swampy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding Rick. I suspect somebody mistranscribed the name, and others have simply repeated the error, which has gone unchecked and spread across the web. I will look into it further, however, and endeavour to correct the mistake, whatever the cause!

Regards

Swampy
Plumb (London/Surrey/Kent)
Hatherill (London/Surrey)
Chittleburgh (London/East Anglia)
Rowden (Kent)
Jewiss (Kent)

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
Let us know what it is supposed to say if you ever find out Swampy.

Linda.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 July 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello my sweet, we meet again.

Perhaps you have all this already, but just in case you don't, here goes:

Regardless of what the IGI says, it would seem that the family you are researching was as follows:

(Whether any of this is fact or fiction I have no idea.)

Randolf Nye (born in Denmark)
       |
William Nye=Agnes Tregian
       |
Ralph Nye

Now, if you look at

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ny/

and scroll down to INDEX [4433] (second family from the bottom) you will see some reference to the inheritance of William Nye. The reason that I mention this is that it is in Uckfield, Sussex

Then, if you look at

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nz/

and scroll down to INDEX [4438] (near bottom of page) you will see some reference to father Randolf Nye holding land in Uckfield,

and [4433] is mentioned yet again.

Since these are supposed to be actual published documents, they suggest that Uckfield was a major part of the life of this family. If William's son Ralph was born in Uckfield (as is suggested here and there on the Internet), then perhaps the marriage of William was also in Uckfield, regardless of where he eventually died.
So, if you are looking for William's place of marriage, I guess that Sussex, rather than Hertfordshire is the place where you should be looking.
And 9 miles from Uckfield there is a place called Horsted. Horsted is also similar to the mystery "Horned". Of course, that may well mean absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Anyway, whether or not those published documents actually exist or not, it all gives you a bit more to work with, I suppose. Or more accurately, it gives you more to worry about. Alternatively, you can simply throw up your hands in despair and shriek quietly to yourself.

Whichever it is, I bid you farewell for now, my darling Swampy, until our next encounter,

UKgirl
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk