Author Topic: Father on marriage certificate  (Read 1809 times)

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Father on marriage certificate
« on: Monday 26 June 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a marriage certificate for
Jethro Firmin and Emma Maria Balls - May 1881.

It lists Jethro's father as Oliver Firmin, labourer.

I had been thinking Oliver died in 1879, age 50, reg'd Lexden.  Oliver's wife, Mary Ann, remarried in 1880.
Would a marriage certificate give a father's name & occupation even if he had died?

If that wasn't the correct death, Oliver should be in the 1881 census, but I can't find him there.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Charlotte

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
Re: Father on marriage certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I have a marriage cert where the father is named but then afterwards it says deceased. However, I don't see why it shouldn't be omitted - so many other things are!!!

Caz
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks, that's good to consider.  I thought it was strange that they would still list an occupation.

For the bride, it has her Mother's name, and says Singlewoman.

Thanks,
Charlotte

indiapaleale

« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Searchers,
Just because it doesn't say that the Dad is dead.....doesn't mean that he's alive! If you know what I mean.
If the registrar said...name and occupation of father???....and the bride or groom answered....Joe Bloggs, labourer.....then that was that!
I have a case where the father is dead for one son's marriage..and evidently alive for the next son's marriage! Then 5 years later ...for the daughters marriage ...he's dead again.

Genealogy has taught me to have an open mind!

Cheers,
Indi

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this excellent site about the information included on all types of civil registration certificates in England & Wales.

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Indi and Nell,
That's good to know, and I'll surf on over to that site.
Thanks again, I appreciate your help,
Charlotte

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 15:39 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate which states the fathers name and occupation with deceased after it.

However I have not been able to find the father or any man with the same name apart from the persons uncle or grandfather who had the same name.

Nothing on the 1851 census either even though the person was born in 1848. Strangely it had the mother down as unmarried with two children and the mothers sister also living with them with a son and guess what- she was unmarried as well.  Both sister born in Shropshire and one child born Birmingham, another in Leamington and the third born in Liverpool.

I eventually found details for the birth certificate and sent off for it - surely that would have the fathers name - but no just a line where fathers name but there was a bonus. He was given two names one of which is possibly the birth fathers surname.

So it would appear that the details on the marriage certificate were fiction and the marriage in a Catholic church as well.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
It's a shame when these certificates don't provide all the information we need!  Thanks for your story and ideas, and good luck with your searching!
Charlotte