Author Topic: Dissenters graveyard  (Read 1248 times)

Offline quizmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dissenters graveyard
« on: Monday 26 June 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
I thought that Dissenters was the term applied to those people who followed non CofE religions such as the Free Churches etc. and that the term was very 17th/18th century. I passed one today that is still in use. Does anyone know what today's qualifications for interrment in such a resting place might be? For the record, it was in Cottenham near Cambridge.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dissenters graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
Could it be that it's only the name that survives from earlier times, and that it's not now restricted in its use?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Dissenters graveyard
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Our local free church graveyard is owned by the local Baptist and Methodist churches and burials are restricted to the families associated with those churches partly due to lack of space.

I suspect your Dissenters Graveyard is in a similar position but retains its old name
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk