Author Topic: Anglican v Catholic?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anglican v Catholic?
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 04:57 BST (UK) »
G'Day All!
Iwas brought up believing my Mother's side of the family were all R.C. Yet now recently,I find that G'Parent's married in an Anglican Church.As my sibling's are a mixed lot that is no problem.

Question is,is there that much of a difference in record 's available,and would eventual children follow the same faith?
As i'm already up a Gum tree with no paddle,more problem's aren't wanted!

Grumbly Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anglican v Catholic?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
Depends on the date, but there should be no difference in the availability of records.  It often happened (and happens) that a marriage took place in the church of one of the partners, causing grief on all sides.  Traditionally, the non-Catholic partner in a Catholic marriage had to promise to bring the children up in the Catholic faith, but this wasn't always followed.  In the case of your family, it may be that Catholic partner wore his/her faith lightly and went along with a marriage in the C of E to please his / her partner.  This happened with my niece only two years ago.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 09:38 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure about the children following the same faith. They probably would have been RC to start with but it would depend on the date as ST says.

A more difficult marriage, from the perspective of relatives, would have been a non-conformist and Roman Catholic marriage. Up here, most of the local population were Free Presbyterian (wee Free). A local person married an RC person who hade come across from Ireland to work. The marriage (30 odd years ago) was boycotted by the Presbyterians. Other examples, of course, are Jewish (particularly men) and non-Jewish marriages.

My family is full of inter-faith marriages which probably caused consternation at the time but now their descendants are mainly unbelievers.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 14:20 BST (UK) »

My family is full of inter-faith marriages which probably caused consternation at the time but now their descendants are mainly unbelievers.

Gadget

This comment could be repeated for my family - From 1920s to 1960s great drama - people disowned by families - it was my mother's worst fear that I would marry someone of the wrong faith - today - seems to be irrelevant to our lives - most are unbelievers also.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 14:40 BST (UK) »

Coming from Liverpool ..... I understand !!  ::) ::) ::)

Goggy - you'll still be able to get church records - but they will be in Latin !! - I had the same thing happen to some of mine !! Like Suttontrust said .... traditionally the non-Catholic partner in a Catholic marriage had to promise to bring the children up in the Catholic faith ....... that's why your Mum was RC !!

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Although most are still held in the Record Office they aren't all yet on film as I believe the LDS don't film these, so for example the first time I went to look at one in Liverpool RO I had the pleasure of searching the original old book, whereas the next time it had been filmed and so the original isn't available to see any more, but then that's the same with most of them now.

One of the drawbacks of the RC Records is that you are unlikely to find any on the IGI to give you a guideline.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
At one time Roman Catholics could not inherit land
so you will find duplicate marriages.

In Lancashire especially alot of the large landowners
were in fact Catholics so you will often find many
Catholics living on these lands due to the
landlord being tolerant of Catholics.

Mass was often said in secret, and codes were used
to call Mass, One in particular I have heard in
the area I am researching is a White sheet on
a Washing line another was a Candle in a certain
Window.

(I wonder if that is why Washing on the line on a
Sunday was frowned upon)

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 15:15 BST (UK) »
I've struggled with my catholic Wheeldons.  I think there was still a lot of discrimination about and thus a general distrust of authorities - so I don't think some of mine registered much at all.

My Wheeldon Gran married my C of E Grandad and although all of their children were baptised in the catholic faith and sent to catholic schools - her father still disowned her.  This would have been in the early 1930s.

Not so long ago really.  It's very sad  :-\ :'(
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire