Author Topic: Conformation of Maiden Name  (Read 2092 times)

Graitney

Conformation of Maiden Name
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone PLEASE help me with the following DUMB ??? question:-

I have a birth certificate for a John LEWIS, which was registered on 8 Jul 1854 by his father Thomas Lewis of Trevaughan Carmarthen. John's mother is recorded as being Elinor LEWIS (formerly EVANS) & previously THOMAS.

Can anyone please enlighten me as to which one would have been her "born as surname (maiden name)."

Thanks very much in anticipation & Regards.......Graitney.

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Conformation of Maiden Name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, Gaintrey,

"Fornerly" would be Elinor's former married name

"Previously" would be her maiden name.

How about this, a possible marriage
source freeBMDs

Thomas Lewis = Elinor Evans
Dec. ¼  1851  Carmarthen  26  842

If you try the IGI for marriage entries for Wales, entering Elinor Thomas with a possible spouse Evans, you will be shown a list of 36 marriages, varying districts, many in Carmarthen.    I cannot help you much with these as my knowledge ( like a lot of English folk) is very sketchy on Welsh districts.

Hope this helps,

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Graitney

Re: Conformation of Maiden Name
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Meliora,

Thanks so much for your kind help & the additional marriage info from FreeBMD. It certainly does help.............

Elinor's marriage to Mr EVANS doesn't show in the LDS IGI as she was b, abt 1823, Trelech Ar Bettws (district in Carmarthen) & all the records shown are, therefore, too early.

Marriage info within the Carmarthen districts shown upon the IGI is sadly quite sparse & only covers very few parishes up until abt 1837...........but never mind........its the LEWIS marriage details that you unearthed I'm interested in as its the one I want.

Thanks again......... & Regards, Graitney