Author Topic: George Allen - Barton, Beds  (Read 6892 times)

Offline AHC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Allen - Barton, Beds
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Researching my g grandfather George Allen b. 1829 in Barton (Le Clay), Beds.  Have found quite a bit of info via census returns, certificates etc and via other distant members of the family.  Would like to find out more if possible regarding his parents.  I know his father's name was also George and his mother was Jane.  I have also come across one sibling - Emma.  Found Jane, George and Emma in 1841 census but have not found father.  He may have died.  I think Jane remarried as I've found her and Emma via the 1851 census.  Jane's surname is then Crawley.  Loose Emma after that, probably married.   George married Hephzibah Collyer in 1849, they had a daughter Catherine.  He then went on to marry Hannah Costin and they had 13 children.  Would love to hear from anyone else who might also have an interest in this family, especially if anyone out there knows anything else about g grandfather George.  :)
Darvell - All, Woodward - Herts & Beds, Allen - Beds, Collyer - Bucks & Herts.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Allen - Barton, Beds
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 06:17 BST (UK) »
I assume you have George's father's name as being George from his marriage cert? And Jane as his mother from the 1841 census which shows Jane 30, Emma 4 and George 13.

I'm always suspicious when children are out of chronological order in censuses, particularly in 1841 where relationships are not given. I wonder if George was really Jane's son or whether he was a lodger in the household - a nephew perhaps. (later - on rechecking the image there's a single slash after Emma, denoting the end of that particular family, and a double slash after George denoting  the end of that house, so the enumerator was indicating that George was not the same family as Jane and Emma)

If you check the IGI on www.familysearch.org there's only one George Allen in Barton, baptised on 8 June 1828, the son of George and Sarah. So the father's name matches the George which you have, and the year is right. It's the mother that doesn't match what you think it should be.

There's a marriage on 5 Jan 1833 at Barton, John Allen/Jane Blindell which I think is the Jane in 1841. The only burial in Barton of an adult male 1836-41 is John aged 38 on 18 March 1840. Jane's remarriage cert to Crawley would show her maiden name which would confirm what I suspect.

So I'm certain that Jane wasn't George's mother at all.

Living 2 doors away from Jane in 1841 was
George Allen 30 Carpenter
Sarah Allen 30
William 10; Albert 8; Elizabeth 5; Edwin 3; Leonard 2 mths
All born in Beds

I think these were George's parents and siblings.

Perhaps George had moved in with Jane (possibly his aunt) to make room for the new baby.

In 1851 both Georges were living in Luton

George Allen head marr 45 former carpenter b Barton
Sarah Allen wife 42 b Streatley Beds
Elizabeth 16; Edwin 13; Leonard 10; Emily 7; Edward 4. All b Barton

But I can't see a marriage on the IGI for George and Sarah, which I assume should have taken place in 1827/8

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline AHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply David, I will get all my info out and check over everything I have again.  :)

Offline AHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again David

Just looking over some of my bits of info re George Allen (1828).  I can see what you mean and there is a question mark as to whether Jane is George's mother or not, to be investigated further!!  ??? 

Something which I have noticed is the 1871 census.  It has George and Sarah and their daughter Amy living in Dumfries St, Luton.  They have a Catherine Allen lodging with them.  The name, age and place of birth matches that of George's (1828) eldest daughter from his first marriage to Hephzibah Collyer but I am just wondering why she is down as lodger and not granddaughter, I think that is why I dismissed the connection with George and Sarah orginally.  I guess the census returns are not accurate in all cases.   :)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:40 BST (UK) »
You say "I guess the census returns are not accurate in all cases". I would twist it a bit and say that in some cases censuses are accurate!

It's certainly not the first time that I've seen a grandson or brother or mother described as lodger.

Regards

David

Offline AHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
Well, thanks again for your help David.  I'll keep looking.  I have requested various searches through St Caths Hse re George's  birth (1828/9) but no luck so far.  He had lots of children, as they usually did in those days, so there must be lots of descendants out there.  Maybe someone might be able to find something - hope they let me know if they do. ::)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
For an 1828 birth you're into parish registers looking for baptisms, as the St Caths House - GRO - indexes didn't start until 1837. You'll need to go through the microfilm of Barton parish register (available at Bedford Records Office, or any LDS Family History Centre). The 1828 baptism on the IGI looks to be the right one, and it's extracted from the parish register, not an unreliable member submission

Regards

David

Offline AHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
St Caths do Parish Record searches for members.  Between Sept 1530 and Dec 1837.  I have requested a few, some they have found, some they haven't, George being one of them  :-[.

Offline AHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 June 06 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to ask you about the IGI. 

How reliable a source is this?  You mentioned checking Parish Records for George, is the IGI the same?  I did visit the web site you recommended and all the info you gave me was all there.  Thank you again for that, it was appreciated.  I just wondered how the best way to record evidence for this particular event was - would I need to visit Library or is the IGI information a good source?  It's not like you have a certificate to show dates etc :)

Sorry to sound a bit dim but I'm relatively new to Family History, evidence is so important.

Regards

Anne