Author Topic: welton  (Read 1994 times)

Offline keithwelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
welton
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 22:13 BST (UK) »
I have a relative michael christopher welton b c1865 apparently in newport with parents patrick and ellen welton
they also had children ellen 1851 william c1854 patrick c1866 and mary c1857
I cannot find reg births for any of them apart from ellen b1851
I have tried Ancestry and have had no luck
any suggestions
welton whelton connolly courtmacsherry clonakilty timoleague lislevane

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: welton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 23:19 BST (UK) »

You weren't relying on their freebmd transcription were you? Check the coverage charts. http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/progressB.shtml

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: welton
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

In addition to trying the full indexes, have you checked for mistranscriptions of the name (maybe WILTON?)

Are you familiar with the names of adjacent registration districts, as they might have been registered in Bedwellty or Pontypool and just given Newport as the nearest big place when filling in census returns?

What is the origin of the parents?  I am always suspicious that Patricks might have nipped over to Ireland?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Modified to add - registration only became compulsory in 1857 - perhaps they were not registered?

I see them in 1861 ( RG9/4020/57/14 ) and the parents are Irish, but it seems likely that at least Patrick jr was born in Newport as he is very young on the census.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)