Author Topic: The good old days??  (Read 936 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
The good old days??
« on: Wednesday 28 June 06 00:59 BST (UK) »
This is a letter sent by my great-great-grandad;

1867 - John Dean's petition to Trinity House:
"Gentlemen, I was disable from going to sea any more owing to a contraction of the left hand from an abscess & contraction of the guiders in 1841, I was put on Quarterly pay at the Trinity House at Hull in 1842 on the 18-shilling list per quarter for a few years but owing to getting on has an Extra Tide waiter in H.M. Customs at Hull & making ten shillings per week my Trinity pay was stopped only getting the gift of coals & five shillings in the winter twice & three times a year, Gentlemen, having been in the Customs 26 years & the Established Class been filled up the Honorable Board gave me a small pension of 15.5.11 per year which only amounts to twopence halfpenny a head, per day four of us that his my wife & two children under the age of thirteen.  I made application to the Trinity House for my pension to be restored to me but was told that my pension was sufficient from the Customs & that I could not have my pension back, Gentlemen I think a seaman paying into the Trinity House for a number of years his shilling per month from the port of Hull for disabled seamen to have a pension at Trinity House, for to been to be continued for a few years & then stopped not to be returned any more his a Very Great Shame."

And we think these were the good old days???
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The good old days??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for this to return us to reality. I or maybe us can get very romantic about the past and forget how hard it  was. It is so easy to think that todays standards applied to the past.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 01:12 BST (UK) »
P.S.  Does anyone out there know what the twopence halfpenny a head in 1867 would be worth today?  It doesn't sound very much to me
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There's a site which will calculate the worth today (well up to 2004 actually) of historical amounts.

http://eh.net/hmit/ukcompare/

2 1/2d in 1867 would be worth 59p in 2004 based on the RPI.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
In comparison, in 1860 a coal miner made £40 to £50 a year, and in 1865 the cost of a pound of bread (I think that's about 1 loaf) was about 1.8p.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk