Author Topic: Can anyone read this?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 June 06 08:52 BST (UK) »
Lones,

Elizabeth KIRK's bap. is on IGI:

20 Feb 1809 in Folkingham, Lincs parents William and Mary KIRK.

There seem to be a number of submitted records for a marriage between John SMITH and Ann EDEN suggesting a marriage of:

9 Dec 1799 in Shipton-on-Stour, Worcs, or

10 Feb 1807 at St Nicholas, Nottingham

One record suggests John SMITH is of Manchester, Warwickshire well Manchester is Lancashire but Mancetter is Warwickshire could that have been misread or mistranscribed somewhere  ???

Anyway I will stop for now because I'm sure you have more than enough to be going on with there.

I'm think with his parents names it should be possible to track Thomas SMITH down.  If you need anything else please let me know.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 June 06 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pintree

Yes this is plenty to be going on with, and I really do appreciate all your help. I never thought I would find Elizabeths parents, I can't thank you enough.  I will get into this part of the tree now, I have been putting it off, all those Smiths intimidated me!!  I will also take you up on your offer of more advice/help if necessary in the future.  Between you and Jaywit, my cup runneth over.  I am so pleased

Thank you again most sincerely

Lones
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 June 06 09:24 BST (UK) »
Just a website for the village of Folkingham where  Elizabeth Kirk came from.http://homepages.which.net/~rex/bourne/folkingham.htm
With Thomas Smith we are going to need every tiny scrap of factual information you have. There is more than one village in England called Bentley. I thought the one I had found yesterday would be a good match, but now you have given his parent's names I have checked it again and it doesn't fit. The one I found had Thomas and Becky as parents. So when you have time if you can give us information like his date of birth ( or age at marriage) . When he came to Oz. His occupation, his father's occupation and we will try again, but as you realize we might not suceed because of the Smith name, but we will try.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 June 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jaywit

I appreciate all the info you have found for me.  Thomas was 33 years old when he married here in Australia in 1854, he is listed as a Carrier.  The wedding cert list his fathers occupation as a Labourer, I assume that is in England as I have no knowledge of his father immigrating over here, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for all you have done, I really appreciate the websites you have posted for me, you have been incredibly helpful

Kind regards

Lones

Smith, Warwick Shire
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Dick, Fife
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 June 06 09:39 BST (UK) »
Later on today I will have another look, but it is just needle in haystack time, looking for John and Ann Smith, but I will try, if no one else finds them before me.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 June 06 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jaywit

I do understand, please don't go to anymore trouble, it's as bad a John Brown and believe it or not I have one of those too!!  Honestly why didn't my ancestors marry Pobbles, or Smuddles or something easy to track?  No Jones and Brown and Smith were my lot!!! 

Thank you for everything you have done

Lones

Smith, Warwick Shire
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Dick, Fife
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 June 06 14:49 BST (UK) »
I have struggled with this one, if I come across a Thomas in Warwickshire then his parents are wrong, John I can't find married to Ann. It is such a problem with the name being Smith. I thought by trying to follow the name Eden that would be easier, but not so. I have discovered one Warkwickshire village where there were Eadons ( close) and Smiths. That is the village of Weston under Wetherley. There are christenings there for a John Smith on 19/10/1805 the son of Thomas and Mary and also for a Hanna Eadon daughter of William and Mary (Hanna, Hannah, Ann and Anna were all interchangeable) There is also a christening of a John son of John and Ann on 24/2/1828. Can't find a marriage between John and Ann and can't find a christening for Thomas. Unless someone else can find any better information I would make a note of all of this and file it under possibles.

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 June 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaywit

Thank you again, I will definately make note of all you have given me.  I realise what a nightmare it is.  Please do not trouble further, you have given me several leads to follow through and I am really grateful.  I have more now than I dreamed of having, I will sit down and colate all I have and then see where to go from there. 

Thank you again

Regards

Lones

Smith, Warwick Shire
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Beard, Stithians Corwall