Author Topic: Western highlands and Islands LOOKUP OFFER  (Read 25089 times)

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Western highlands and Islands LOOKUP OFFER
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 September 07 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hello again Helen O: I'm afraid there are no formal death records for South Uist or Benbecula before the introduction of statutory records in 1855. Marriages and birth/baptisms begin for the Noerthern end of the island in 1829 by way of the St Michael's RC Church, Ardkenneth records and those for Bornish in the South at much the same date. The only hope, a slim one as most graves at the time were registered by wooden crosses or unmarked stones, is that the relevant graveyard might have a clue. Just thinking about it, it is a bit of a toss up which graveyard would serve Garryfliuch. That early, it could be Howmore or Kilpheder. I will have to have a look at the map and consider that issue. Shame I had not registered the question as we only left South Uist on Wednesday. The one other suggestion I have is that you might contact someone at the Commun Eachdraidh Uibhist a Deas [the South Uist History Society]. You should be able to find a contact for them directly or via the Kildonan Museum. If you have a problem, let me know off Board and I will find a contact address. Angus
Email address is not working

Offline HelenO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 September 07 00:46 BST (UK) »
How great!  I hoped it was just a matter of your not seeing the post.  Tomorrow, first thing, I'll follow your suggestion.  In the meantime, are you familiar with Bill Lawson's "Marriages (Recorded and Unrecorded) in Parish of South Uist 1820 - 1855"?  The supposed marriage McPhee / MacLean is in that publication on page 60.  And have you heard about the emigrant ship "George Stevens" (Master J. Potts) that took South Uist passengers to Cape Breton in September 1827?  Thanks, again..

Helen

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 September 07 01:04 BST (UK) »

I don't have any family connections in the area but have you checked the Croft History for that area?  I

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline HelenO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 September 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, for your response, JMB.  And "no", I haven't chcked the croft history to try and find the parents of Donald McPhee and Mary MacLean.  Do you think there is a 'croft history' for South Uist in the early 1800s?

HelenO

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 September 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, for your response, JMB.  And "no", I haven't chcked the croft history to try and find the parents of Donald McPhee and Mary MacLean.  Do you think there is a 'croft history' for South Uist in the early 1800s?

HelenO

Sorry can't help there but if you follow the link there is a list of those available.  I have seen one that a friend has for the area where he lives.  They seem to have a detailed list of crofts and who lived in them at different times. 

I don't know about the Uists but Harris and Lewis have community centres in each area which usually have a museum and somewhere for family research.  Seallam seems one of the best organised (near Leverburgh).
It's a pity that Hebridean Connections does not cover Uist yet!  Perhaps one day..........

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 September 07 19:12 BST (UK) »
hi - dunno whether imentioned this before and havent read the thread fully i have to admit but i think you hould try:

http://www.seallam.com/

A lifetime of research on the western isles...
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline HelenO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 September 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know about the Island of Hestimul in the sound between South Uist and Benbecula?  Especially, does anyone know about the tradition regarding the family name of the residents on this island?  Is this traditional story recorded anywhere?  Is there an estimate of when it might have originated?  All these questions, and all the answers, at this point, really matter in the quest for an ancestory who emigrated from South uist probably in the year 1828?

Thanks for any help.

HelenO

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 September 07 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

The first only interesting link that I've found is this one:

http://www.jenforum.com/macfie/messages/303.html

all the others seem to be about accommodation  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline neilmcphee001

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hey Helen if you are still about, give me a ring!!!!
Moderator Comment: Email address removed in accordance with rootschat policy to prevent spamming etc.  Please use our Personal Message system to exchange private details.   New members need 3 posts before they can use it.