Author Topic: Help Please with a Tin Plate Photo  (Read 17096 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please with a Tin Plate Photo
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 June 06 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Karen. Thank you for your reply. How exciting as a 15 year old to have found that treasure trove and of course those shown in the photos must all ' belong ' to you.
After I had sent I thought of that very fact - they usually didn't go out and about when ' enceinte ' but she looks a very modern woman and I have a feeling she was !
Now we shall never know  :'(
With kind regards.........

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 June 06 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I think your photo is from the 1870s as well, probably around the middle of the decade.
You're both lucky to have such lovely photos  :)  I can clearly see a wedding ring on the lady's hand in Karen's picture, so it might well be a wedding portrait.  There are lots of children in my family who, if conceived in wedlock, must have been born very prematurely, if you get my drift - so it wouldn't be that unusual if Karen's lady was married and photographed while pregnant.

Prue

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 June 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue and Karen

mine is definitely 1873, which is why I thought Prue's date was so good - the dresses look very similar. The style of Karen's photo, to me, also looks very like a wedding photo - which perhaps could help to identify the couple.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 July 06 04:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not replying earlier, I have been away on a holiday.

Trish thanks for posting your picture, the dresses do look the same.

I thought I would search marriages in Ontario between 1870 and 1880 just to see what came up and would you believe my gr-gr grandfather married his first wife in 1870, she died in childbirth in 1873. 

Now, that I can see their faces I try and match it up to other photo's I have for likeness.

I'm attaching a photo of my gr-gr grandfather John Heffernan who married in 1870, he's alot older in this picture and no beard, what do you think?

Emmeline, it was quite exciting to find them, my mother is still amazed that all those years ago I found them and that to this day I still refer back to them to help me with my research and since I seem to be the only one in my family who likes family history that I would be the one to find them.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 July 06 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I think the eyebrows, hairline & cheekbones look the same - but I am definitely not very good at this, so will wait for some other replies.

Did your gg grandfather John & his wife have any other children before she died in 1873?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 July 06 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
I put the faces side by side, to see if it would help...it didn't, really!  ;D
Like Trish, I think the eyebrows, hairline and cheekbones are similar, but the noses seem different, as does the width of the jaw.  ???
Prue

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 July 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
I'd say that they are not the same. The eyes, even allowing for aging, are far more deep set on the latest one.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 July 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue for putting them side by side.

Their first son Charles was born January 10, 1871, they were married January 24, 1870.  Mary died May, 1872 and four months later their daughter Mary Ellen died in 1872.

I know what you mean about they eyes being set back more Gadget, but he did die of cancer of the face.  You can see a spot on his cheek, apparently so my grandmother says, they used to stuff the hole with raw meat.  So, maybe that had an effect on his eyes being alot more sunken in his later years?

Mary was only 23 when she died.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 July 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
Here's a picture of his other son, different mother, but same father.  I think there is a little bit of resemblance?  What do you think?

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England