Author Topic: Bryden/Cowper bookmark/stub  (Read 948 times)

Offline Stephen George-Powell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Bryden/Cowper bookmark/stub
« on: Wednesday 28 June 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandmothers great aunt, Julia St John Wright (b 1855 Priors Marston) married an author called Henry Anderson Bryden (b 1854 Banbury). 

My Great Aunt Kate, who I vaguely remember from my childhood, was staying with the Bryden's at the time of the 1901 census. But I digress, in the course of researching their descendants I paid to retrieve a file on them from an archive at Yale.

Included in the file is the copy of a book written by Bryden (in 1923) called 'Bryden and Cowper Family History'. The book(let) is 23 pages and there is also a family tree (unfortunately spread over 5 pages and poorly photocopied in terms of how it all fits together!). Obviously this is not my family so, although interesting, it has not really helped me with my reasearch (luckily the other contents of the file have!).

However it may be of interest to someone else, so I am placing this stub here in case someone searches for Bryden or Cowper in the future.

The Bryden line goes back to John (b 1690 Annandale, Dumfriesshire) - this line includes Thomas Radford (of hospital fame) and the Cowper line back to William (b 1485, lived Woodend, Blakesley, Northants). The tree seems to include a lot of military men, including one holder of the VC - Capt. R.P. Roupell and at least 3 M.C.'s. They are mainly in the Northants/Warwicks/Oxon area in earlier times, but all over later on.

Hopefully someone will stumble over this one day and all this typing will have been worthwhile :-)

Cheers
HEREFORDS; Powell & Williams in Longtown/Clodock
YORKS; Grants (Pocklington). Moorby & Wilkinson (Settle/Gigg), Dinsdale (Hawes/Aysgarth).
NORTHANTS/WARWICKS; Wright, Pirkins & Rands
DERBYS; Bateman & Kew
BRISTOL, SOMERSET; Senior
JAMAICA; Senior & Cunningham
LONDON/HOME COUNT;Griffiths, Powis, Bateman
LINCS; Blanchard, Crawshaw, Caborn, Jackson & Walker
EIRE; Martin (Dublin) &Cunningham (Donegal)
MONTGOMERYSHIRE; Dax (Welshpool)
BEDS; Burwell & Wingate
VIRGINIA; Burwell&Higginson