Author Topic: NORMAN, O'DONNELL, PLACE, PLAYER, PULLEY, ROGERS, ROPE, SINCLAIR, STEED  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
NORMAN, O'DONNELL, PLACE, PLAYER, PULLEY, ROGERS, ROPE, SINCLAIR, STEED
« on: Tuesday 10 February 04 13:27 GMT (UK) »
NORMAN from Buckinghamshire, England
George Isaac Fitzgerald b. abt 31 Jan 1847 m. 1867 in Marlebone, London to Elizabeth Ann Norman b. abt 1839 in Fenny, Stratford.

O'DONNELL from England
Mary O'Donnell b. abt 1842 London.  Immigrated to Australia (date unknown) and married Duncan McPherson in Sydney on 18 Nov 1873.

Mary's parents were John O'Donnell and Mary Bryant.  No further details are known

PLACE from Suffolk, England
William BARRACK m. 24 Jan 1792 in Barnsdon, Essex to Mary Place .
Their son John BARWICK B. 1792 Sudbury, Suffolk - was tried on 7th March 1808 at the Essex Lent Assizes and given a life sentence.  He was transported to Australia arriving in Sydney on 27th February 1810.

PLAYER from England
Thomas Player b. 8 Jan 1792 in Bristol.  He was convicted of stealing and transported to Australia arriving 1815.

PULLEY from Norfolk, England
Elizabeth Pulley b. abt 11 May 1768 in Hethersett, Norfolk
she was a convict transported to Australia with the First Fleet arriving in 1788.  Her crime was break, enter and steal.  She is reputed to have given birth to the first European child conceived and born in Australia.

Elizabeth's parents are reported to have been Anthony Pulley and Elizabeth Floyer.  I have no further details

ROGERS from England
John Rogers b. 24 July 1757, Westminister - was convicted of highway robbery in 1783.  He was sentenced to life and transported to Australia arriving in 1790.  His parents are believed to be William Rogers and Elizabeth Steed.

ROPE from Essex, England
I am researching a convict ancestor - Anthony ROPE B. born between 1750 and 1759 in the Parish of Rochford, Essex, England.  In 1785 he was found guilty of stealing and sentenced to transportation for 7 years.  He arrived in Australia in the First Fleet in 1788 and married Elizabeth Pulley on 19 May 1788.  Anthony and Elizabeth are reputed to have given birth to the first European child conceived and born in Australia.

I have no details of Anthony's parentage.

SINCLAIR from Perthshire, Scotland
John McINTYRE b. 25 Oct 1808, Aberfoyle m. 21 May 1831 in Aberfoyle to Margaret McNEE (aka McVIE).  Both went to Australia after the marriage - date not known.

John's parents were John McINTYRE believed to be born in Colgarten, Perthshire and Margaret SINCLAIR (no further details known)

Margaret's parents believed to be Donald McVIE and Agnes CAMERON - no further details known.

STEED from England
John Rogers b. 24 July 1757, Westminister - was convicted of highway robbery in 1783.  He was sentenced to life and transported to Australia arriving in 1790.  His parents are believed to be William Rogers and Elizabeth Steed.
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline enigma

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:NORMAN, O'DONNELL, PLACE, PLAYER, PULLEY, ROGERS, ROPE, SINCLAIR, STEED
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 04 05:20 BST (UK) »
well I have to say I am in the same boat as you,
I also have a relative by the name of pulley,from norfolk , but as far as I was concerned he was the first pulley in our family to come to australia,
william Pulley,B:-1803 Norfolk, but he was married to Mary bulger, he came over as a convict 24/7/1822.
his parents,were william tobis Pulley, and martha Lavender,
and they had 10 cildren., I suppose this info is not apt with your info.  any possibilities E Mail me at(*)
MEL

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re:NORMAN, O'DONNELL, PLACE, PLAYER, PULLEY, ROGERS, ROPE, SINCLAIR, STEED
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 04 06:54 BST (UK) »
I also have a bit of info on Anthony & Elizabeth,

My connection is through their daughter Susannah and grandaughter Mary Ann BRADLEY.
Mary Ann married another convict, James HACKETT, brother of my gg grandmother Maria MASTERS nee HACKETT.

Anthony ROPE lived till he reached the age of 84 years according to his death cert. This would give him a birth year of 1759/60.

The IGI gives Elizabeth's birthplace as Hethersett, Norfolk, this is the same town where she committed her crime.
She was originally sentenced to death on the 14th March 1783 and spent 4 years on Prison Hulks until boarding the "Friendship" for the voyage to Australia.
During the voyage she was transfered to the "Prince of Wales"

Anthony & Elizabeth had 8 children that I know of, as you say, the first, Robert was supposed to be the first European child born in the colony.
He later died at sea during a sailing venture to Tasmania, he was 18 years old.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline DaveDave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NORMAN, O'DONNELL, PLACE, PLAYER, PULLEY, ROGERS, ROPE, SINCLAIR, STEED
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Please can you check to see if your records on your Thomas Player have any connection with either a Samuel or William Player.

We're particularly interested in Samuel as he's the first Player in Scotland and all Scottish Players are his descendants, but we don't know where he came from.

A William Player enlisted around the same time but died in Flanders.  They enlisted in 1795 so their year of birth must be around 1770-80.

If you have any other suggestions on who to contact or where to look, please fire away.  We've searched everywhere for his place of birth, to no avail.

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 13:14 GMT (UK) »
My Thomas Player was born in Bristol, England. No know link to Scotland
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline DaveDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your very prompt reply!

I noticed that your Player was born in Bristol in 1792, so it's long shot, but he could be the younger brother or similar to our Samuel by about 20 years.

Have you got info on your Player's relatives?

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't have his siblings (if any) nor his parents I'm afraid.

Offline AustralianConvicts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking family of convicts sent to Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Enigma,
William Pulley and Mary Bolger are also my family, hope to hear from you.
AustralianConvicts.
James Wright, Eliza Mackay, William Pulley,
Henry Nobes, Charles Armstrong, John Bulger,
George Thomas And Naomi Wright,
All sent to Australia as Convicts.
Also non convicts Albert,George & Florence Hulme.

Offline Steve Syddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PULLEY, ROGERS,
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi possible distant cousin

Whilst looking though some postings, I noticed that you are researching two of my surnames from the same line. Pulley and Rogers. Pulley is difficult to trace and transportation might well be the reason for this.

I have:

John LITCHFIELD   m Stilton 1772
Elizabeth PULLEY d Stilton 1787
Children: Elizabeth 1774, John 1776, William 1778, Rebecca 1779, MARY 1782, Rebecca 1784, Frances 1787.

and various ROGERS marrying into the BEE [Gt Gonerby 1815], FISHER [Newark NTT 1785], SERJEANT/LITCHFIELD [Peterborough 1849], YOUNG [Cromwell 1730] and WARSOP [Newark NTT 1761] families.

I hope we can link. Naturally, I will be pleased to reciprocate.
Regards & happy hunting
Steve
too many to list here. Over 200 in all.