Author Topic: George Thomson/Thompson  (Read 3935 times)

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Thomson/Thompson
« on: Thursday 29 June 06 21:42 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for the descendants of George Thompson/Thomson and his spouse Annie Elizabeth.

George was born in Scotland in 1846 and moved to England in 1857. He was a boilermaker/riveter. He was born George Thomson, but when he moved to England the name may have been corrupted to Thompson.

George and Annie had, as far as I know, ten children: Tom, George, Nixon, David, Frederick, James, William, Martha, Annie and Bella (Isabella).

I believe that for much of their married life, George and Annie lived in Drypool, Kingston-Upon-Hull.

I have a lot more information about George but what I have mentioned so far should be enough to identify him.

Is anyone else researching this family or can anyone help me with any information about George?

I'm especially interested in learning if he had any uncles. The 1891 census mentions an Uncle Elren/Elven, but I can find no other records for this person, in Scotland or England.

Our verbal family history says that George and his siblings came down from Scotland in 1857, along with his parents, Thomas and Elizabeth Thomson. Thomas is said to have been accompanied on the journey from Scotland by three brothers, at least one of whom settled in Yorkshire and became a publican. I believe one of Thomas's brothers may have been called Alexander but other than this I cannot find any more information.

I think George's father, Thomas, may have remarried a Margaret Wallis in the 1870s/80s.

If any of this rings a bell with anyone then I'd love to hear from you.

Steve
Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.
My g-grandfather is David. Family moved to Isle of Dogs 1857.
Some of family settled in Hull area.

Offline faloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Thomson/Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 07 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, i have Nixon Thomson in my tree he was my husbands grandfather, the information i have George married Anna who was born in Hull they had the following children named the ones you have listed.there address 1881 census 7, Strawberry Street Drypool  Hull. is this of any help to you. i have not gone back further yet on the Thomson tree. if you have any further information please would you let me know. kind regards marlain

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlain,
Great to hear from you.
Happy to share what information I have about the Thomson family.
I have still not managed to get further back than George's father, Thomas, but I do have a great deal more about the family from about 1850 onwards.
You can email me directly at Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal material. Thank You
Steve
Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.
My g-grandfather is David. Family moved to Isle of Dogs 1857.
Some of family settled in Hull area.

Offline faloon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, mislaid your email address changed mine would like to be in touch again to go back to the Thomson tree. Cheers Marlain