Author Topic: Name variations - Harriet  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Name variations - Harriet
« on: Thursday 29 June 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

On the 1901 census I am looking for Harriet Pike age 25 born Wereham Nfk. She married in 1898 to John Pike at Basford, she could still be there but may have moved to another area of Nottingham.

I am trying to help another Rootschatter on the Notts board and have struck a brick wall in the 1901 census. At the archives they have a name book with all the variations of the names. e.g., Margaret - Maggie, Peggy etc

The name in question is Harriet. Obviously I have tried Hariett, Hariet, Harriett, Hettie, Har*, H, Her*, H*.

Please give any other suggestions for name variations and searches. The surname is Pike so I have tried Pyke, Pik*, P*ke, Pyke, Pyk*.

I have spent ages on this but I still cannot find her. I have checked with the Rootschatter and she is still alive after 1901. Where can she be?

I have used Ancestry and the official National Archives search but cannot find her.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
Re: Name variations - Harriet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 June 06 23:37 BST (UK) »
i found this

Harriett is a common girl's name and is a variation of Henrietta.

goodluck

colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 June 06 23:46 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for John - unless he's dead or they separated, there's a good chance that she'll be with him. Also try searching for names of any children they might have had.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Have you tried putting in her christian name and DOB, with place of birth, then scrolling down all the Pike variations?  Or the other way round, with the surname and no christian name?  Try putting her DOB in with 2 years variation, and no birthplace, just residence.

I've spent hours sometimes on one person, and when you finally find it, it seems so obvious why they would have mis-spelt it.

Regards

Rosemary

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 July 06 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks to all of you. I will try the various tips you have given me. I have spent hours searching for this one and it is not even mine. These types of query just become a challenge.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 July 06 05:32 BST (UK) »
Don't givre up Jane if they are on the census you will find them.

I discovered the other day on the 1851 census that ALEN HARRIES is actually ELLEN. When you look at the census image the E and the L are so close together that the transcriber has taken it for the letter A.

If you try Rosemary's tip also take a look at the images. Takes forever but you never know perhaps Harriet has been transcribed as a totally different name.

Then there is possibly another way. Was the H dropped and the enumerator written as he heard. Try Arriet for example.

Good luck
Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 July 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
Another tip is DON'T tick the male or female box, leave it as both, OK you get a lot of names to search through but I've had several females that were ticked as males on the census and males down as females, very frustrating but don't give up

good luck
Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lendevon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 July 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
I've come across a Harriett in my ancestry - it is spelt Arriat
Worth a try!
Kent - Piper, Longley, Colvin,Parks,Baker,Saitt
Essex - Wade, Shipp, Warren, Davies, Walford

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 10:37 BST (UK) »
I've got a baptism for an Aryet in one of my trees.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea