Author Topic: School prize lists  (Read 865 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
School prize lists
« on: Friday 30 June 06 05:37 BST (UK) »
We can get information to "flesh out" what we know about our ancestors from so many sources!!!

In a notebook belonging to an aunt (now, alas, far gone in dementia), I found that she had jotted down what she knew about the family.  Inter alia, she had said that my ggrandmother and her sister attended the North London Collegiate School for girls.

I emailed the school, who were able to confirm that the girls had been enrolled in 1851.  The library assistant said that further information from that era was scarce, but that if I liked, she could check the prize lists to see if they appeared there.

She did eventually manage to do this (it would have taken some time, checking through those old volumes) and was kind enough to photocopy the relevant pages and send them to me in Australia. 

You can imagine my delight in reading through these very legible mid-Victorian documents and seeing the names of ggrandmother and her sister!  It has further helped to pinpoint the year when some currently unknown calamity befell their father, as the girls no longer appear in the prize lists after 1855, so seem to have been withdrawn from the school.  Maybe one day I will break through that brick wall (and maybe not!)

We family researchers must be detectives, following up every tiny clue - you never know where it will lead!!!!  ;D ;D

MarieC

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
Re: School prize lists
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 06 06:08 BST (UK) »
Quite right MarieC - detectives every one of of us !

How pleasing that you had a reply from their old school and information sent.

I myself sent to the Charles Dickens School in London. It had previously been the Lant St.School ( C.D. boarded in Lant St. as a young man.)

My grandfather and sisters had attended there when young and I had hoped to find out more. However, had no reply. Never mind - I do have three or four of the books which they won as prizes - sadly now rather worn. I treasure them.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 06 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline

It's the luck of the draw, isn't it?  Disappointing when you write and get no reply - it's happened to me too, I'm sorry that school did not answer you.  But it is great that you have those books, and I bet you treasure them!!!!! :D :D

Then again, it's really great when you do get a reply and some information.  It's happened to me several times lately, from some very kind people.  (Must be due for a "no answer" soon!!  ??? :'( )

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello  MarieC - Yes, I really shouldn't complain. For the most part people are very good with their replies.
I was just a bit disappointed - might try again some time.
Kind regards.......  :)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 06 22:01 BST (UK) »
If any of you had ancestors who went to Soham Grammar School you can find some of their school prize lists on the Sohamroots website (think it is www.sohamroots.com, if not try googling to get the exact name)
I found some of my Edmunds there (this branch only went to Soham briefly)
Sadly 2 of the boys also have their names on the school's war memorial as they were tragically killed in the war.
A great site for these extra little snippets about people - if only every village had one!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk