Author Topic: modern day searches  (Read 650 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
modern day searches
« on: Friday 30 June 06 09:28 BST (UK) »
hi all,
  just wondering if it is possible to find someone relatively modern.
 my father's sister was born circa 1920. my grandfather was in the forces stationed in india around that time,( a brother and sister were born there) not sure about my aunt. he then lived in scotland.around the 1940's she left the family and although there are rumours in the family of her getting married ( i have 2 possible husband names) unfortunately none confirmed and she seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth.
can anyone point me in the right direction to find details of her?
ragards
stephen
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: modern day searches
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 06 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

That certainly sounds tricky!

Bob made a mini-guide to researching living people:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

There might be more clues on the marriage certificates (father's name or both parents if in Scotland), but there are also the possiblities that she died or emigrated.  Have you tried advertising in the papers for the area in which you last knew her to live?

You don't say what you have already tried?  Even little things like using an internet search engine or Friends Reunited (or similar) sites might turn up clues.

Good luck with your search

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: modern day searches
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 06 09:49 BST (UK) »
arranroots, hi,
 thanks for replying,
 i have tried scotlands people, origins, 1837 etc. none of these cover the dates concerned, i don't have marriage certs for her, and have no idea of where she lived, my grandparents were living in lanarkshire but i don't know if she stayed there/moved/emigrated etc. She was very rarely mentioned within the family hence the reason i don't know her birth area. I have only just found out possible husband's names and have yet to search for him, thought i would have the same problem as with my aunt.
will have a look at bob's guide
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)