Author Topic: preserving certificates?  (Read 10462 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: preserving certificates?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 July 06 14:28 BST (UK) »
hi all, thanks for all your views,i think i will get the plastic wallets and keep the originals there, also print out copies and lamiante them, coupled with keeping copies on disc.
think that should cover all basis.
thanks again
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 July 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Keep old certificates :

In the dark
At the most constant temperature as possible (which is difficult with central heating or air con)
Never store in the attic or cellar
Keep the certificate flat - not folded (if it has been folded unfold and  flaten)
Store in an acid free envelope
Try not to look at the certificate or handle the certificate, when you do though be very gentle

hope this helps
lemon

Offline kitchener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:12 BST (UK) »
My wife is a conservator (not practicing it right now though) but she would strongly advise NOT to laminate.  If these are originals, you should not do this.  Store them in acid free envelopes or paper sleeves, and leave them alone.  Have copies made and use those are your working copies.  Store them flat.  When handling the originals, where gloves.  They have probably been handled hundreds of times, but every time you touch them, oils and acids from your skin are left on the paper and hasten its demise.  There are archival cotton gloves for this or even latex gloves.  And if they have been folded and are separating along the seams, please do not use tape to fix them!

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 July 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kitchener

laminator will not be used now. Mine are mainly copies from the Records Office so fairly new and the old ones are copies from originals. I might do copies of them all and laminate the copies which will make them last longer with all the handling then my "original copies" can go into safe keeping

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline kitchener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 July 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
This may be a good time to mention that we try to keep copies of all our stuff, whether documents or photos, to help preserve the originals, and to have back ups if something should happen.  We like photo negatives of the pictures, but lately have also copied them with digital images.  And, my brother has copies of everything so there are back ups if our house either flooded or burned down.  Must be our museum training coming into play here......

About 3 years ago our neighbours house burned down, and while furniture was replaced, she said the saddest thing was losing all her family pictures etc. of her grandparents, and even her children growing up. 

Copying is never a wasted effort.