Author Topic: witnesses on marriage certificates  (Read 2808 times)

Offline dustfairy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
witnesses on marriage certificates
« on: Friday 30 June 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was just wondering how useful witnesses are on marriage certificates. Any hints and other peoples ideas and uses would be helpful

Janette 8)
Research names: Tate, Gibbeson, Johnson, Watson, Hewitson, Lenton, Rees, Armitage, Copley, Lees, Fitton, Howe, Moody, North, Tiffany

Research areas: Durham, Northumberland, Warwickshire, Huddersfield, Pembrokshire, Kirkburton, Ireland

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: witnesses on marriage certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
They can be very useful. Most of mine have been relatives of some kind - even a sister and her groom to be. However, in many cases it might have been who ever happened to be around, especially in pre-1837 weddings when a church warden was often a witness.

They are always worth noting and exploring though.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
As Gadget says, always note the witnesses.  They may well be relatives that you already know about, or ones who are new to you.  Even if they are people you haven't heard of they could provide clues.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
If you are looking through parish records for marriages you will often be able to spot the parish officials who would have witnessed many of the weddings.  But very often it will be family members, so always make a note and check just in case!! The surname that means nothing now may well turn out to be connected in the future!!

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 06 20:43 BST (UK) »
I always store up the names of witnesses in my family tree software.  As the tree is growing it is amazing how many of those witness names crop up as sisters, cousins etc. 

Sometimes when you get the certificate for the cousin's wedding further down the line you find the original person witnessed their wedding.  Builds a nice picture of the family and just like today!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 July 06 05:46 BST (UK) »
The late Ted Wildy of NZ actually started a listing of marriage witnesses .... have a look at this site;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/mwi/
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 July 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Slightly off subject, but I also always try to find out more about whoever has registered a death  and have discovered brothers, sisters, sons, daughters etc.

Sometimes it isn't always immediately clear who the person is, but, as you discover more about the family, it usually slots into place. I recently discovered that the lady who had registered the death of one of my greatx5 grandmothers was shown on the 1841 census as her next door neighbour! Okay, not a relative but it builds up a nice picture of a caring neighbour who perhaps cared for her when she was dying.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 July 06 17:41 BST (UK) »
Most of my witnesses have been family members so it has been easy enough to find them. Even death certs can give more clues to members missing - I found a son for my husband's Great Great Grandad who I hadn't known about. I eventually found him on the 1861 census. It wasn't as if he was the eldest or youngest either - he was right in the middle so you would have thought I would have found him earlier.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 July 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
It is also worth noting Lodgers, Boarders and Visitors from census records, I have known grandchildren described as visitors and a chap who married the lodger's daughter.

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!